Barrel for feeder

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jberry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been on craigslist looking for barrels to make a feeder. I see food grade plastic ones and then steel barrels that look clean. Does anyone have advice? Would a plastic barrel withstand the legs and the weight of corn?

Is it worth trying to make one?

SnowCamo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think heavy plastic ones would withstand the weight but I'd opt for steel if that's an option. Raccoons are destructive on feeders.
I'd also recommend putting a cage around the bottom opening.

jberry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Steel it is! thanks guys. Now, how hard is it to fashion into a feeder? I already have the boss buck timer/battery boxes with spinners, 12 v batteries and solar panel. Just need to get a barrel and legs I guess.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you weld or know someone that does?
What I would suggest is that you find someone that can form a ring that is the exact diameter of the barrel from 10 gauge steel and weld a buckle on it that would let it tighten to the drum. Then weld the legs to the ring.
Reason is, that those drums get out of round pretty easy and you have a hard time getting the top to fit any more if you ever have to lay it over to remove spoiled corn or some cobb that is wedged in the funnel.
I just had that problem last week. My legs are welded to the barrel, so now I have a major operation to redo it vs just dropping a new barrel into the ring, and tightening it down.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom