barrel length vs velocity

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A friend in New Mexico sent me a Brownells 90 degree face cutter and 11 degree crown cutter that you use with the supplied T handle.

It tightened groups a little bit 1/4 moa over the hacksawed barrel that i crowned with lapping compound and a marble.

I actually cleaned up my Mossberg 100atr with the marble and it shot better groups. Before it did not like boat tails at all. after the slight chamfer it grouped them just fine.

Old school primitive stuff but it does work.

If you cut it to 16 are there any laws to worry about,, what if it was a hair under 16"

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I took a pipe tubing cutter and snugged it around my barrel and gave it a twist and made a line.
I then removed the cutter and began hacksawing the barrel with a new hack saw blade.. the barrel to my surprise was very soft.
The softest steel i ever cut with a hacksaw.
I then took a file and filed the muzzle end very flat and then crowned it.
I cut the barrel just in front of the line the tubing cutter made.. I left the line for reference.

If you have a disc sander a table top type with a fence you can lay the barrel against the fence and square up with the disc and sand the barrel flat while turning the barrel against the fence. Keeping it square with the disc sander.

Latest posts

Top Bottom