Barrel Welding? Co-Joining? Can it be done?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm wondering, is it possible and can anyone do it?

I am thinking about a project and the only way I can think of getting it done is to take two barrels and join them together.

Basically, take the two barrels and put them together so that the chamber of one feeds into the actual bore of the other.

Dave

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm thinking no. Actually it could be done with a correctly engineered joint and friction welding. Or even TIG but the cross section would have to be too thick to be feasible in any normal stock (I'm assuming rifle?). And unless you had some very specifically designed fixturing for whatever weld process you used you'd have to chamber ream afterwards anyway so I don't think it to be feasible at all.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The cost would be prohibitive.
What would "prohibitive" be?

I am looking for a better system to shoot some 9mm training ammo.
Everyone tells me that they can't make the barrel that I want because it would be "cost prohibitive" figured that this might be an option to get what I am looking for.

Dave

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
a 9/22 wildcat?
No.

A while ago, there was a crap ton of 9mm swedish training ammo on the market.

Fires out of the Uzi with just a barrel swap.

Never found a barrel to try it in the AR platform.

Had a "flash" of inspiration today thinking maybe it would be possible to put a 22 barrel at the end of a 9mm chamber to get what I want.

The Uzi barrels that were available for this ammo were a 9mm barrel with a .22 barrel insert affixed in them.

Dave

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The
I want to put a 22 cal barrel on the end of a 9mm chamber.

Looking at Uzi and Colt variations on this theme.

Dave
Hence my question of a 9/22 wildcat, and your question of welding two barrels together.
I'm still not understanding the need for a 9mm chamber with a .22 barrel other than to make a really fast .22.

Latest posts

Top Bottom