1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

BATF gunbroker trap?

Discussion in 'NFA & Class III Discussion' started by MoBoost, Dec 31, 2009.

1. MoBoost

MoBoost Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
  2. WhiteyMacD

WhiteyMacD Sharpshooter

I cant remember exactly, but I think Encore has some exceptions in the old code.

However, I did see a wierd listing for a AK74U on gunbroker. I emailed the guy about the rifle asking what it would take for the transfer and he told me it could be done under an 01. I asked about the fact it was Short Barreled and never got a response back. (this was a real 74U, not a 74U with the long barrrel.)

::EDIT::

Did a little research and found this: BATFE Letter
    So I was wrong. Another reason why anything anyone says should be taken with a grain of salt.

3. ssgrock3

ssgrock3 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    what is wrong with the ad?

4. WhiteyMacD

WhiteyMacD Sharpshooter

Encore Pistol being sold with rifle stock and advertised as a Pistol/Rifle Rig. While no Encore owner has been prosecuted for this, having a pistol length barrel and the device and then switching to a stock is a no no.

5. Buzzdraw

Buzzdraw Sharpshooter

The offer on Gun Broker is to sell a 15" pistol barrel with the rifle marked shoulder-stocked receiver. To be legal, a conventional rifle must have a barrel of 16" minimum length, along with other length criteria.

A portion of the rifle receiver box is pictured; it has part of the printed warning about the legal minimum length of barrel suitable for use on the stocked rifle receiver.

Hopefully the dealer just made an honest mistake.

6. Glocktogo

Glocktogo Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
  7. aeropb

aeropb Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    not at all

8. ssgrock3

ssgrock3 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Ah now I understand. Nope don't think it is a trap, think it is a seller making a mistake. There are so many things like this that are easily unintentially broken. This is why so many ffls are giving it up. Too easy to have the atf up your butt.

9. okie98

okie98 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Just best to back away.

10. FTB44

FTB44 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Howdy All,

I don't think the BATFE tries entrapment on gunbroker. I think like most Law Enforcement Agenies (LEA), they are more reactive, i.e. someone notices a violation and reports it. Certainly, LEA's do conduct investigative ruses, but this normally requires authority based on alleged criminal activity. Fishing is normally not allowed, but there is always a possiblity.

The letter (link) found on the internet seems strange due to the fact that the BATFE was transferred from the Dept of Treasury (DOT) to the Dept of Justice (DOJ) in 2001 after 911. Note the letter head is still DOT. It is possible that someone just used old letter head.

I would contact BATFE directly for clarification.

Also, a recommendation is that when a OSA member gets and Official written response to a question, it could be sent to the moderator for verification and then posted in a "Libary section" and/or type folder for all to read and benefit from??? Maybe the moderator may feel this has some merit???