BBQ in Norman ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Brush Creek over West of Tri-City is pretty good.

Church in the front, batting cages in the back and barbecue in the middle. Ambiance is about what you’d expect for a location like I just described, but I’m there for the Q.

Large portions of meat. Ribs are good, and don’t just fall off the bone, which is nice. Sides are pretty decent, with okra & Au gratin potatoes being my faves.

It ain’t cheap, but I never had cheap bar-b-que that was good.

I remember a Brush Creek BBQ about 20 years ago south of Newcastle. It was good and they gave baskets of homeade chips. Thought they went out of business. I guess they re-opened if it's same one.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I remember a Brush Creek BBQ about 20 years ago south of Newcastle. It was good and they gave baskets of homeade chips. Thought they went out of business. I guess they re-opened if it's same one.

Current Brush Creek owners had another restaurant South of Newcastle off Hwy62 but I thought it was a steak house(never went). If the same one you're thinking about, it was quite a few years back and didn't stay open very long.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Current Brush Creek owners had another restaurant South of Newcastle off Hwy62 but I thought it was a steak house(never went). If the same one you're thinking about, it was quite a few years back and didn't stay open very long.

That was it,thought they had BBQ also. It's been awhile. Had cobbler and ice cream machine. Current owner says it opened in 2018. prolly was more than 20 yrs ago.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Big Daddy's Smoke house in Noble. A friend and I stopped there on the way back from the Lexington WMA gun range. We both thought it was as good or better than any of the places in Norman (Rudy's, Van's, Ray's, Billy Sims).

I was thinking I remember hearing that place caught on fire a few years ago and never reopened.......now that I know they're open I may give them a try.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
My favorite has always been a local place called "Amy's BBQ and Mexican" here in Holdenville, Oklahoma. Best brisket evah!

I've never ate at the Van's in Norman, but if I'm ever in Shawnee and get a hankerin' for some good Q, Van's is my place. I tried Billy Boys in Shawnee last weekend, and I was less than impressed. :disappoin There's also a good place in Ada called Pigskins. The BBQ fries or BBQ nachos are da bomb! :bowdown:
Next time you are wanting BBQ in Shawnee, try Robb's Smokehouse on Kickapoo. In my opinion it is the best BBQ I have tried in Oklahoma, so far.

I will say that I haven't eaten there in awhile 'cause I'm trying to cut down a bit, so hopefully it is still great. It beats Van's and Billy Boy's by a mile as far as I'm concerned.

It is nothing fancy but he makes some good food. The only down side is that he doesn't have a fryer so there's no fries or okra to be had, which are two of my favorites with bbq, but the baked beans, coleslaw, and potato salad are good.

Oh yeah, there isn't much for big boy seating because the chairs are attached to the floor like the tables are and there aren't/weren't any extra chairs to use to make sitting at the tables more comfortable for us well rounded fellas.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Next time you are wanting BBQ in Shawnee, try Robb's Smokehouse on Kickapoo. In my opinion it is the best BBQ I have tried in Oklahoma, so far.

I will say that I haven't eaten there in awhile 'cause I'm trying to cut down a bit, so hopefully it is still great. It beats Van's and Billy Boy's by a mile as far as I'm concerned.

It is nothing fancy but he makes some good food. The only down side is that he doesn't have a fryer so there's no fries or okra to be had, which are two of my favorites with bbq, but the baked beans, coleslaw, and potato salad are good.

Oh yeah, there isn't much for big boy seating because the chairs are attached to the floor like the tables are and there aren't/weren't any extra chairs to use to make sitting at the tables more comfortable for us well rounded fellas.
I'm gonna show my age right here, but the last time I was in there, it was a Taco Tico.

:lookaroun

I've heard there was purdy good Q there, but, like you said, I remember them skinny "booths" they had. But I'll grab some to go next time I'm in town.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
Surprised no votes for Iron Star. I'm always up for trying new places. There's a fairly new one in Harrah I want to try soon. I'm pretty excited to try Meating Place in Norman. But to be honest, after eating at Hard 8, it's really not going to be a fair comparison. That place has it together.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm gonna show my age right here, but the last time I was in there, it was a Taco Tico.

:lookaroun

I've heard there was purdy good Q there, but, like you said, I remember them skinny "booths" they had. But I'll grab some to go next time I'm in town.
Yep, your right. It was a Taco Tico back in the day. They do have a drive through window if you just want to get something to go.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Someone mentioned Jake’s in Chickasha.
The mention was in the same tone as billy simms...not worth a trip for. But if you are driving by, you can get something to eat, it's just like 95% of the bbq here: mediocre at best.

The Brush Creek looks decent...I will have to try it. Looks can be deceiving but I'm willing to try it based on their menu. What are their beans? BBQ beans? or Pintos? They have catfish but no beans?

Bibbs looks sketch. Lotta words and tryna be fancy along with the mention of seafood. Seafood and BBQ usually ends up poorly. We'll see.

Latest posts

Top Bottom