BBQ in Norman ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The mention was in the same tone as billy simms...not worth a trip for. But if you are driving by, you can get something to eat, it's just like 95% of the bbq here: mediocre at best.

The Brush Creek looks decent...I will have to try it. Looks can be deceiving but I'm willing to try it based on their menu. What are their beans? BBQ beans? or Pintos? They have catfish but no beans?

Bibbs looks sketch. Lotta words and tryna be fancy along with the mention of seafood. Seafood and BBQ usually ends up poorly. We'll see.
Elgin to Newcastle for BBQ? I looked and the only mention of beans under Sides is green beans but one of the pictures seems to show beans. Same with coleslaw. It mentions slaw and my aunt said it's a cilantro lime slaw and really good but not listed under Sides.

If you decide to go, let me know and I'll meet you somewhere for a cold beverage - only live about 5 miles West.

HarryBear

HB
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm gonna show my age right here, but the last time I was in there, it was a Taco Tico.

:lookaroun

I've heard there was purdy good Q there, but, like you said, I remember them skinny "booths" they had. But I'll grab some to go next time I'm in town.
'Ol fart.... Let's eat all this talk about bbq.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Elgin to Newcastle for BBQ? I looked and the only mention of beans under Sides is green beans but one of the pictures seems to show beans. Same with coleslaw. It mentions slaw and my aunt said it's a cilantro lime slaw and really good but not listed under Sides.

If you decide to go, let me know and I'll meet you somewhere for a cold beverage - only live about 5 miles West.
Yeah, I saw the pic with beans but nothing on the menu.

We'll drive to Stephenville or Pampa for BBQ so Newcastle is a short trip. Next time I head that way and I have time, I'll ping you.

Slim Deal

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know it's not close to Norman, OKC, or Tulsa but Wildhorse Mountain BBQ south of Salisaw is one of the best BBQ joints in the state. I haven't been there in about 5 years but when we lived in Ft. Suck (Smith) in '74-'79 we went at least once every two weeks. It's changed hands but the same recipes the last time I was there.

My first experience of Wildhorse Mountain BBQ it was a shack, a real shack, on the side the of a hill. If you did not know it was a great BBQ place you would have never stopped in. It had an old Pepsi sign out front that didn't work and a rutted out dirt and rock parking lot, more rock than dirt. Inside the partial floor at the entrance was rough sawn oak, and most of the eating area had dirt floors. On the walls were autographed photos of almost every Nashville, Oklahoma, and Texas C&W band/singer alive at that time.

When the 'Old Man(an old wrinkly black man of course) owned the place he would make a batch of 'Q and the place was closed on Mondays unless he sold out early. I have seen it closed on Friday and Saturdays back in the day. When he ran out of 'Q, he closed up shop.

Of course the Old Man is gone and the place was sold to some other folks, the BBQ place moved a little closer to town and the last time I was there it had a log cabin motif. The 'Q was still very good, just like the Old Man cooked it up.

I think I've talked myself into going there this weekend.

Last edited:

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know it's not close to Norman, OKC, or Tulsa but Wildhorse Mountain BBQ south of Salisaw is one of the best BBQ joints in the state. I haven't been there in about 5 years but when we lived in Ft. Suck (Smith) in '74-'79 we went at least once every two weeks. It's changed hands but the same recipes the last time I was there.

My first experience of Wildhorse Mountain BBQ it was a shack, a real shack, on the side the of a hill. If you did not know it was a great BBQ place you would have never stopped in. It had an old Pepsi sign out front that didn't work and a rutted out dirt and rock parking lot, more rock than dirt. Inside the partial floor at the entrance was rough sawn oak, and most of the eating area had dirt floors. On the walls were autographed photos of almost every Nashville, Oklahoma, and Texas C&W band/singer alive at that time.

When the 'Old Man(an old wrinkly black man of course) owned the place he would make a batch of 'Q and the place was closed on Mondays unless he sold out early. I have seen it closed on Friday and Saturdays back in the day. When he ran out of 'Q, he closed up shop.

Of course the Old Man is gone and the place was sold to some other folks, the BBQ place moved a little closer to town and the last time I was there it had a log cabin motif. The 'Q was still very good, just like the Old Man cooked it up.

Never heard of this place.

Slim Deal

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

We just got back rom eating lunch at Wild Horse Mountain BBQ in Sallisaw. It was some great tasting BBQ.

Yesterday I made a couple of mistakes in the description of Wild Horse Mountain BBQ. I want to correct that. The last time I was around 2005. It has the same owners and is in the original location. Today he wife told me I was wrong about the changes and that I mixed this place up with another BBQ joint in Ark. Getting older has it's consequences, piss poor hearing forgetfulness are the two main ones.

The place was updated with better dining rooms and no more dirt floors. The place was crowded and the BBQ was very good.

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Surprised no votes for Iron Star. I'm always up for trying new places. There's a fairly new one in Harrah I want to try soon. I'm pretty excited to try Meating Place in Norman. But to be honest, after eating at Hard 8, it's really not going to be a fair comparison. That place has it together.
I might be in the minority here, but my wife and I were horribly disappointed with The Meating Place. We went there not long after it opened and were thoroughly unimpressed with their overpriced BBQ. But the worst offense to us was their BBQ sauce. It was the first and only time I have ever tasted cumin in BBQ sauce, and it was a VERY pronounced common taste. I'm a fan of cumin flavor where it's supposed to be, but it was horribly misplaced in their sauce.

Latest posts

Top Bottom