Be careful buying ammo, components, etc.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nemesis

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'm seeing a lot of sketchy ads from private parties for ammo and reloading components. Selling powder out of old, already opened containers, for example. One guy was simply dumping part of his container of powder into the buyer's container. He assured that the powder was good because to him, it smelled ok. And the buyer really has no idea what he's getting.

And on Tulsa gun sales I'm seeing ads for loaded ammo where there are mixed headstamps and I wouldn't be surprised if some yoyo was selling his own reloads to try to turn a buck. That's not only illegal, it's dangerous.

I won't buy/trade/acquire ammo or components from private parties for that reason. I'm sure 90% of the time the transaction is secure/legit/trustworthy, but for me, it's just not worth the risk.

Just be careful out there.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have purchased from many members here and I have sold opened powder that I acquired.
The guy buying it was happy and knew it was opened and some 1/2 used.
My prices were darn cheap though and some of it I just gave away.

I hear what you are saying though on some stranger selling reloads.
I would not get them either unless i was planning on taking them all apart.

I do not like to buy vehicles with a rebuilt engine.
I see many newer vehicles say 1995 or newer with 210,000 miles with a rebuilt engine.
How terrible was the maintenance that it died with so little miles on it.

nemesis

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Like I said, I'm sure in 9 of 10 cases all is well. It's just not worth it to me.

When I first started shooting, as a teen, I bought some reloads from a mom and pop store. I knew the owners personally. Two of the reloads turned out to be hangfires. Hammer dropped. Sizzle. Nothing. Then they went off.

It was just dumb luck I didn't pop open the cylinder to see what was wrong.

Like I said, just be careful. These are desperate times and unconscionable people are seeing $$$ signs.

If someone were to sell black powder in an old Alliant Unique container, how's the buyer going to be made whole (legal concept) if the seller has zero net worth? It's not worth the risk.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm seeing a lot of sketchy ads from private parties for ammo and reloading components. Selling powder out of old, already opened containers, for example. One guy was simply dumping part of his container of powder into the buyer's container. He assured that the powder was good because to him, it smelled ok. And the buyer really has no idea what he's getting.

And on Tulsa gun sales I'm seeing ads for loaded ammo where there are mixed headstamps and I wouldn't be surprised if some yoyo was selling his own reloads to try to turn a buck. That's not only illegal, it's dangerous.

I won't buy/trade/acquire ammo or components from private parties for that reason. I'm sure 90% of the time the transaction is secure/legit/trustworthy, but for me, it's just not worth the risk.

Just be careful out there.
I don’t disagree with your premise, but what law(s) make it illegal to sell reloads?

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have purchased from many members here and I have sold opened powder that I acquired.
The guy buying it was happy and knew it was opened and some 1/2 used.
My prices were darn cheap though and some of it I just gave away.

I hear what you are saying though on some stranger selling reloads.
I would not get them either unless i was planning on taking them all apart.

I do not like to buy vehicles with a rebuilt engine.
I see many newer vehicles say 1995 or newer with 210,000 miles with a rebuilt engine.
How terrible was the maintenance that it died with so little miles on it.
I would buy opened powder from swampratt. I would not buy opened powder from "hoodratt- new to the site"

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought reloads from Outdoor America years ago, said a disabled vet makes them. I would only buy from friends now or commercial reloads.....

Last edited:

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t disagree with your premise, but what law(s) make it illegal to sell reloads?

There are laws that govern those who engage in the business of manufacturing ammo....near as I can tell, it doesn't apply to someone who sells some reloads in a private transaction or two. Now, if you start cranking out rounds on your press and selling them regularly, you might run into trouble.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thinking the OP is referring to an add I posted a few weeks ago on some powder I have. Before I posted the add I spent two days searching and reading what others had to say about using old properly stored powder. The general feelings I came away with is as long as it looks Ok and doesn't smell acidic it will work just as well as what you get off the shelf today.

Still haven't figured out how to copy and paste a link on this durn tablet. On the 1911 forum is a thread titled Old powder safe to use? In that thread is a link on what Alliant has to say about storing and using old powder. If I thought for a second there were any problems with the powder I have, I would not have listed it.

Yes it is in old containers that have been opened but I know for a fact it has spent it's entire life in an air conditioned house. YMMV

Latest posts

Top Bottom