Be careful when buying chicks at Atwoods

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not really a knock on At woods as we enjoy shopping there. We bought some chicks there last November. Gold laced Wyandotte to be exact. Got 4 brought them home and raised them up. Anyway they started laying last week. The eggs are about ping pong ball sized. And these girls weigh maybe two pounds each. According to my research these are bantams. There are full size ones also. Maybe someone mis marked the tubs. Don't know what to do with them..no meat so be a waste to butcher them. And the eggs are small enough you would need two o equal a regular size egg. No way of knowing what you have till months later..oh well guess they will be a novelty and add color to my small flock.

Cowbaby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tomato plants too. I have been growing Arkansas Travelers and Bradley tomatoes for a long time They are both smooth skin 10-12 oz tennis ball low acid pink type tomato.
Bought some Bonnie plants from Atwoods and came out with all kinds but what I wanted. Most were curled up wrinkled beefsteak type which I hate and some even shaped like the oxheart type that is pointed on the end. Lots of cracking and splitting which I never have much problem with.
I guess they got all 9 kinds of cross pollentated is all I can figure.

I grow my own from seed now and to heck with that..

I have had good luck with chicks from atwoods. I always bought the Danish Brown Leghorns (The ones that look like little chipmunks. Camo city those little guys.). The rooster will look just like the rooster on the Corn Flake box and the hens will look like a larger size brown flecked game chicken. Those buggers flat will out hustle any thing I ever had and didn't eat you out of house and home. I would see one sometimes almost a mile away from home but come evening it would be right back. Smaller too so they don't eat so much like the bigger types. They lay a nice large white egg and they won't just hang around under your feet waiting for the feed sack to open in the yard. They go and get it. More suited to free range style really though.

The only complaint I have ever had is if you buy mixed you always seem to end up with 6 out of 10 roosters every time. Imagine that. Buy sexed hens and spend the extra money.

Last edited:

Snake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's a pic to show the difference..regular egg far left..my bantam on the three right.

Attachments

• IMG_20220409_173632.jpg
    IMG_20220409_173632.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 44

Latest posts

Top Bottom