Be careful with the VA and marijuana.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd IMMEDIATELY do two things.

1. Move the guns, right now.

2. Get. An. Attorney.

Seriously, he can't effectively fight the VA alone. Without an attorney he's completely screwed. Get a mouthpiece and let them earn their pay!!! :(

Well said, get the guns out of the house ASAP or the police will be taking them.

HeyEng

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think this is the best advice I have heard. I would definitely be hiring an attorney if it were me. I sure hope everything works out for him. It ticks me off that he served his country and got hurt and has PTSD and this is how he is treated for being honest about using weed an alcohol. I guess they would have been more happy if he were using fentanyl.
As my signature indicates, I could represent someone in a similar case. BUT...as a disabled vet myself, if I got that letter in the mail, I would be finding the BEST attorney that I could find that has experience with this. If I couldn't afford that, then I would be looking for some help from a legal organization...no question about it.

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From the legal perspective:

The officers will be following the court order to remove firearms.
Is it legally sufficient for the firearms to be removed from the household? (i.e. stored off-site at a friend/family house, but not sold)
Or does it require "legal transfer"? (i.e. The individual can't 'own' any firearms regardless of where it's stored. i.e. Must sell the guns)

It might be useful for a 3rd party to ask the VA what the standard procedure is.
Is merely 'removal out of the household' good enough? I would expect the VA could answer that.
Then ask: What VA appeal process is there to remove this issue? I'm sure this isn't the first time this has occurred.

You get more flies with honey then vinegar.

Latest posts

Top Bottom