Be careful with the VA and marijuana.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've told him I'd "buy" all firearms and weapons in the house and when it's all settled he could have them all back. He'll know more when the competency hearing takes place hopefully.

Yes, get them the heck out of their house immediately or you'll be fighting longer than it's worth to get them back.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've told him I'd "buy" all firearms and weapons in the house and when it's all settled he could have them all back. He'll know more when the competency hearing takes place hopefully.

I would vote for getting them all out of there NOW, rather than waiting one more day.:twocents:

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think it is good that he is being honest with the VA about his use of alcohol and marijuana to medicate his symptoms. Being honest is the only way he can pave a path towards wellness.

At the same time, I think someone who is diagnosed with PTSD, anxiety, and admits to using alcohol and drugs to cope probably should require closer scrutiny when it comes to access to firearms. In this case, the temporary transfer to a family member is a good option. I would preemptively act and get the guns out of the home so he can honestly answer "no" to that question when it comes up and keep everyone from spinning through the roof.

Good thing he has a supportive Dad.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
:offtopic2:
What is baker acted?
Damn son .....use a computer :lmfao:
3A7D3A14-963E-4390-A7B9-4F3D0E6D6AA7.jpeg

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
During discussion of these "red flag" laws with some coworkers, I said that those type laws would be an easy way to disarm a part of our populace that has been trained in fighting skills/tactics/mindset...especially with the VA and whomever else that are basically talking our guys and gals into these PTSD disability checks...I know some have it legit, maybe more than we will ever know, but some of the people I served with have pretty much told me that the powers that be make it known that if people from the same unit have the same story about why they need a percentage paid out, its easier to get everyone paid that way...sure makes me wonder if its all a sham on the gov't part when situations arise and they use that diagnosis against the vets

I think you are correct. I had terrible nightmares during the weeks I spent pretty much drugged into a coma. When I told the docs about it they said vets with PTSD usually had a hard time with it. Since I am not a combat vet I found that amusing until I started seeing how many people are being told they have PTSD. I saw some bad stuff during my time in, but not combat and I feel PTSD has become the diagnosis of the day much like ADD was for a few years.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saw some bad stuff during my time in, but not combat and I feel PTSD has become the diagnosis of the day much like ADD was for a few years.

Absolutely. I see people every day who say they have PTSD, either their own personal feeling or have been specifically diagnosed, and it seems everyone and their dog has it now for any bad thing that has ever happened to them. I hve seen and experienced lots of bad things in my life, used to have some bad dreams, although for the most part now I don't anymore. But some of my friends who have been through the same thing have had serious PTSD-type symptoms. I'm not anything or anyone special, there's no reason why it should bother me less than someone else, but I can't really explain it.

And bipolar is another... my mom has been asking me if I think she is bipolar - I don't know, I'm not a psychiatrist and I think when you go look at the actual required symptoms for diagnosis, it seems everyone and their dog who has mood swings gets a diagnosis of bipolar disorder, or thinks they are "undiagnosed" bipolar. I honestly think because true Bipolar Disorder has a genetic component or predisposition to it, some people actually WANT the diagnosis so they can blame their bad choices, self-destructive behavior and lack of self-control on something or someone else.

I could be wrong, though. It's been known to happen. And again, I'm not a psychiatrist.

HeyEng

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There seems to be something left out of this. Was he actually involuntarily committed for evaluation? I would give serious consideration to having legal assistance at that hearing. Reach out to the legal aid folks where he lives...there is most certainly a pro bono service that should be of assistance (if he can't afford attorney on his own).

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have no experience with bipolar disorder of any type, I do have experience with PTSD / CPTDS and so on. I feel that in no way do Combat Veterans have the market on PTSD / CPTSD, Many First Responders, Trauma Physicians and the like have severe cases of PTSD or Complex PTSD that cause all the terrifying dreams, hyper vigilance, increased anxiety and so on as Combat guys. We had a young female Soldier decapitated in I believe 1995 here at Fort Sill, she was found in her barracks room in that condition by a very young Military Policeman, he will never be the same and as to whether he developed PTSD or any other psychological issues from that experience or potentially many more tragic experiences over the course of his career I cannot speak to, but I do know it was truly a dark time for him.

Personally I have friends that have pretty severe cases of PTSD, heck, some of you even know a few of these fine folks here on the forum. They do not broadcast it, but if you get to know them it becomes obvious pretty darn quick.

I am of the thought that PTSD and even Complex PTSD are the result of cumulative experiences that over time set in the psyche and develop into nightmares, feelings of fear, hyper vigilance and so on. I do not feel PTSD of any shape is a mental deficiency or condition of instability, rather one of the brain coping with psychological trauma as best it can.

Yes, I am diagnosed with a high level of C-PTSD, I am prescribed heavy drugs such as Seroquil that makes me sleep all day long, I take Paxil, Seroquil, and a few others to sleep at night, to prohibit nightmares and to try and rest the brain. I know not the answer, but can assure you that PTSD is very real. 20 Army vets commit suicide a day in America - 'nough said.

Latest posts

Top Bottom