Be careful with the VA and marijuana.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have no experience with bipolar disorder of any type, I do have experience with PTSD / CPTDS and so on. I feel that in no way do Combat Veterans have the market on PTSD / CPTSD, Many First Responders, Trauma Physicians and the like have severe cases of PTSD or Complex PTSD that cause all the terrifying dreams, hyper vigilance, increased anxiety and so on as Combat guys. We had a young female Soldier decapitated in I believe 1995 here at Fort Sill, she was found in her barracks room in that condition by a very young Military Policeman, he will never be the same and as to whether he developed PTSD or any other psychological issues from that experience or potentially many more tragic experiences over the course of his career I cannot speak to, but I do know it was truly a dark time for him.

Personally I have friends that have pretty severe cases of PTSD, heck, some of you even know a few of these fine folks here on the forum. They do not broadcast it, but if you get to know them it becomes obvious pretty darn quick.

I am of the thought that PTSD and even Complex PTSD are the result of cumulative experiences that over time set in the psyche and develop into nightmares, feelings of fear, hyper vigilance and so on. I do not feel PTSD of any shape is a mental deficiency or condition of instability, rather one of the brain coping with psychological trauma as best it can.

Yes, I am diagnosed with a high level of C-PTSD, I am prescribed heavy drugs such as Seroquil that makes me sleep all day long, I take Paxil, Seroquil, and a few others to sleep at night, to prohibit nightmares and to try and rest the brain. I know not the answer, but can assure you that PTSD is very real. 20 Army vets commit suicide a day in America - 'nough said.

We know it is real but we doubt that everyone diagnosed with it really has it, and I include myself in that.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There seems to be something left out of this. Was he actually involuntarily committed for evaluation? I would give serious consideration to having legal assistance at that hearing. Reach out to the legal aid folks where he lives...there is most certainly a pro bono service that should be of assistance (if he can't afford attorney on his own).
I think this is the best advice I have heard. I would definitely be hiring an attorney if it were me. I sure hope everything works out for him. It ticks me off that he served his country and got hurt and has PTSD and this is how he is treated for being honest about using weed an alcohol. I guess they would have been more happy if he were using fentanyl.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The federal prohibition on cannabis needs to end to clear up this nonsense. For being the land of the “free”, we sure do lack a lot of freedoms and lock up more people than anywhere else in the world for bullsh*t victimless crimes.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure if my son in law is the first casualty but I just found out yesterday that he's dug himself a hole.

He put in for a reevaluation trying to go from 90% to 100%. He's got nerve damage in his back and ptsd from his time in the sand box. Well, they were discussing his pain and anxiety and he said the medication prescribed wasn't working and they asked how he was handling it. He told them with alcohol and marijuana, they finished the exam and all that happy happy... Week ago he received a letter notifying him that he's been found mentally incompetent and has been baker acted and has 30 days to file an appeal and have a hearing.

Ya try and try to tell these young folks to either leave the stuff alone or be quiet about it when talking about it to people like the VA. Now I'm sure we didn't get the entire story but I do know enough to be scared they'll get a kick in the door and my daughter or grandkids will get hurt if they come to take away his guns.

I'm hoping it all turns out to be a big nothing burger but it's scary right now.

I'd IMMEDIATELY do two things.

1. Move the guns, right now.

2. Get. An. Attorney.

Seriously, he can't effectively fight the VA alone. Without an attorney he's completely screwed. Get a mouthpiece and let them earn their pay!!! :(

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
A question that might be asked is if the examiner was a General Physician or a Psychiatrist. tHe latter has more authority regarding mental diagnoses than a "Doctor."
Concur, however knowing the VA it was a PA or Nurse Practitioner (not that those folks is bad, just not the same) that made the call. The M.D. / D.O. probably just signed off on the recommendation... Just my .02 cents worth.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hope by now the tools have been moved to another shed along with any feed items.. NEVER volunteer intel..
Absolutely. My VA Dr is a major donor to our Friends of the NRA banquets so I felt comfortable talking to him about my hobbies. I later looked online when that option became available and saw my comments about deer hunting, etc had been logged and are on my permanent record now. I'll remain neutral now and in the future.

Latest posts

Top Bottom