Bead vs Ghost Ring for Home Defense

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The sound of a pump is also a warning just like the verbal one suggested. Its an extra intimidation factor. If the BG won't be intimidated he's going down anyway. I don't leave it chambered for this reason beside my bed. I knew a guy who stopped a confrontation by pumping his 870. The stranger heard it and drove off. It will be pumped the first thing when I get out of bed. In a quiet house it will be heard easily. It may warn the BG but so will the creaking of the door opening. It really depends upon your situation, the fact is that you still have a firearm in your own home to defend yourself. This is all that is needed since most of the time confrontations are resolved by merely the presentation of a firearm anyway.

At the risk of sounding coo-coo, unauthorized entry in my home is considered a deadly threat, and will be treated as one. If need be, I plan to present lead, rather than a warning, and possibly a plastic wad. I want every advantage that I can get. My locked front door/window is the warning not to enter.

If the bad guy is willing to break in while you are more than likely home, don't you reckon he has a backup plan, in case you should awaken?

Oil your hinges!!!

GlockCop

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The sound of a pump is also a warning just like the verbal one suggested. Its an extra intimidation factor. If the BG won't be intimidated he's going down anyway. I don't leave it chambered for this reason beside my bed. I knew a guy who stopped a confrontation by pumping his 870. The stranger heard it and drove off. It will be pumped the first thing when I get out of bed. In a quiet house it will be heard easily. It may warn the BG but so will the creaking of the door opening. It really depends upon your situation, the fact is that you still have a firearm in your own home to defend yourself. This is all that is needed since most of the time confrontations are resolved by merely the presentation of a firearm anyway.
Ok I have to know...since you are "intimidating" someone with a shotgun pump/action sound...do you practice keeping all your guns unloaded(at least in the chamber unloaded) as your go to waepon in a home invasion? I personally keep everyone thing loaded and ready to go. I dont want anyone to know where I am in my house. I hope to get the drop..and if this guy has had a gun pointed at him before and isnt "intimidated" by you he may get the surprise on you. I personally think this is bad tactics...but each to his own.

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I understand what you are both saying (Super Dave and GlockCop). However I think my particular situation warrants a different set-up. I live in a two bedroom trailer. I and my wife sleep in the east bedroom. A roommate sleeps in the west bedroom. Between the two bedrooms lies an open kitchen and living room. The front door dumps into the living room and the back door into a small utility room in the kitchen. In a trailer at night one can hear a person walking around. It cannot be helped it is just what some trailers do. Just getting out of bed would make noise and alert the BG. The shotgun sound just clarifies the warning and IMHO will make many men run away. The sound also warns my roommate if its him making the noise.
A criminal with his senses alert is going to see the door open or hear me get up. A flashlight allows me to identify the noise without giving the BG anymore warning than he would already have. I do not have a complex house in which to hide or "track down" a trespasser. As I understand one adjusts his tactics to his situation. I also don't want to shoot the roommate so the shotgun pump serves its purpose.
@GlockCop By your name, I am assuming you are a police officer and know exactly what you are talking about. LEOs by their uniform issue a warning. Everyone knows if you pull a gun on a cop you have a 99% chance of getting shot at. There is no verbal warning needed, the position issues the warning. (please correct if I am wrong as I might be lol and do not mean any disrespect or to lecture you on your job )
@Super Dave I do need to oil the hinges. I do not have a backup plan...unless you count grabbing the Mauser after I run out of shotgun shells. They wouldn't find the 8mm bullets until the next county though. I am not relying on the sound as I am perfectly willing to unload on anyone who is a threat to me. my wife, or my property.

been

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
a shotgun isn't always "point and shoot".my friend shot 5 shells at a gallon of water 10 feet away and missed every one.he isn't good at shooting at the hip.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The shotgun sound just clarifies the warning and IMHO will make many men run away.

it can also result in an armed intruder deciding to open fire before you because he now knows you are armed and you've given up the element of surprise. The decision to store a shotgun magazine-loaded but chamber emtpy is valid for some applications, and there are techniques to bring one to bear quickly from that condition, but you shouldn't be relying on the loading of it as some sort of talisman to scare away the boogey-man.

If you are concerned about giving a warning, why be ambiquous...give a verbal warning and get on with it.

a shotgun isn't always "point and shoot".my friend shot 5 shells at a gallon of water 10 feet away and missed every one.he isn't good at shooting at the hip.

Exactly...anyone who thinks shooting a bird with bird shot is the same as engaging an assailant under stress with defensive loads, is fooling themselves. You can miss, very badly, with a shotgun even at 'inside the house' distances.

Latest posts

Top Bottom