Beans and cornbread.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My mom said that she is fixing. Ham & beans with corn bread for supper this evening.
Looks like I'll be eating supper at my parents place tonight.
My mom makes them bland as hell. Shes gotten where she cant eat any spices. She complains that dad doesnt like a lot of things he used to. I dont have they heart to tell her why lol

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you really think Braums makes the best, I challenge you to go by Rogers Meats in Midwest City. 1925 SE 29th. Their website boasts that hot links are their specialty, and they really are. They have a huge variety, all made fresh. I only get mine from there anymore. If you take me up on my challenge, you won’t be sorry.
Rogers' Hot Links are very good; I have eaten them several times. Next to Braums, I like them best.

Truth!!had one last night, skillet fried on a piece of bread with mustard...mmm
I had one just like that about an hour ago, after reading some of these posts.

Was at a smorgasbord in Hayes, KS one evening. I got me a big mess of beans n cornbread. I stopped the waitress who for all the world looked like Flo the waitress in Alice the TV show. I asked for some raw onions and vinegar for my beans. She looked at me and beamed, "Why you're an old southern boy ain't ya!" "You wait right here hon, I'll be right back."
Yum Yum

NO TO BRAUM'S!!! BRAUM'S HOT LINKS ARE DE DEBIL!!!!!!

Don't listen to Joel, he's off his senile old rocker!
Don't listen to tR; he's just a highly educated Doctor...but that doesn't mean he knows beans about Hot Links.

I'm round enough as it is. If I were to do something like this, I'd hardly be able to make it through the door. :-)
So you're saying you're in shape? Round is a shape.

I had an uncle who married an Italian woman. She had never cooked, or eaten pintos. He told her how, and to have some cooked for supper that night. As he left he said, "Oh, by the way, spots are poison. You have to make sure every spot is cooked off." She spent several hours checking each bean for spots.
And tR calls me the debbil...

Everytime I get beans and cornbread, which isn't very often, I always wish I had a jar of my grandma's homemade chow-chow to put in it. That stuff was incredible.
Chow-Chow...Yum yum...pics and name of store to buy from of pretty good store-bought chow-chow forthcoming...

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I get this at the “Cash Saver” grocery store on Vandament in Yukon. I imagine the other locations of this bargain supermarket carry it too. They also make a mild version if you casn’t abide the heat. Best chow-chow in a jar I’ve found. Good on beans, hot dogs, and of course...Hot Links. (Braums; if you’re near one...
a5f072c129b8a172387cd685b36740db.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I made a big pot of beans with a frozen ham bone I had saved a little while back. Being single I have one of those small min-iloaf pans that looks like a cupcake pan with 8 large compartments. I freeze up some of the leftovers and then put the little squares in zip bags for a quick good microwave meal later.

I have posted this elsewhere on this site, but for some that may have not seen it. If you like the crunchy corners of your cornbread, I use the jiffy mix and put it in the waffle maker. Every bite is as crunchy as you like. I like a little real corn and jalapenos added to mine. Those waffle like pieces freeze well also to go with my beans. Humm, sounds good for a quick dinner. Thanks for sharing.

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I made a big pot of beans with a frozen ham bone I had saved a little while back. Being single I have one of those small min-iloaf pans that looks like a cupcake pan with 8 large compartments. I freeze up some of the leftovers and then put the little squares in zip bags for a quick good microwave meal later.

I have posted this elsewhere on this site, but for some that may have not seen it. If you like the crunchy corners of your cornbread, I use the jiffy mix and put it in the waffle maker. Every bite is as crunchy as you like. I like a little real corn and jalapenos added to mine. Those waffle like pieces freeze well also to go with my beans. Humm, sounds good for a quick dinner. Thanks for sharing.

Brilliant idea! I am heading to the kitchen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom