Beans and cornbread.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This whole thread went south with all the talk of hot stuff added to beans...

...almost as bad as those where guys want their steaks raw.
For a guy (and I use the term loosely) who has to have his wife cook his steak on his grill and well done at that, you have no clout here LOL

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm really surprised no one has posted the essential bean spoon utensil.
53b908fd41e882f580ede9230ad0a301.jpg

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I get this at the “Cash Saver” grocery store on Vandament in Yukon. I imagine the other locations of this bargain supermarket carry it too. They also make a mild version if you casn’t abide the heat. Best chow-chow in a jar I’ve found. Good on beans, hot dogs, and of course...Hot Links. (Braums; if you’re near one...
a5f072c129b8a172387cd685b36740db.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crest has this too. This is what I use because my grandmas are all passed on. If I can ever find one of their recipes I'll do my own, but this is close enough to pass muster as long as I can find it.

If you want to de-fart your beans soak them for a long overnight soak, at least 12 hours. Then rinse the living hell out of them in a colander and let drain completely.

I slow cook mine with a couple cups of chicken broth added to the water and with my own cured and smoked diced ham in a porcelain cast iron dutch oven that has a good fitting lid. Crock pots and instant pots just don't compare. Cook slooooowwwww all day long.

ETA: And cook your cornbread in a plain old cast iron skillet or pan greased up good. It ain't real cornbread if you don't! None of that hippyfied teflon stuff works.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@Shadowrider: And everyone else...Amen on the cast iron skillet for the cornbread. I put about 1/3 of a stick of butter in it, pre-heat the skillet in the oven for about 5-6 minds 'til nice and hot then pour the homemade cornbread batter in it. Makes it have a crispy, butter tasting crust when done.

Latest posts

Top Bottom