Beans and cornbread.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, after mentioning that the ol' lady isn't a fan of beans and cornbread and lamenting that I haven't had the pleasure of this feast in a while, I remembered that the ol' lady was going to her sisters for the rest of this week. Dropped her off at the airport this morning at Oh My God It's Freaking EARLY-o'clock. Just put my beans in the crock pot about 30 minutes ago. Farts, it's what's for (after) dinner. :-)
Get some short ribs an toss them in the crock pot! you wont be disappointed.

Preacherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had beans and cornbread for supper last night and for lunch today. Any guesses what I'm having tonight? :)

Btw, speaking about cornbread I went to a cookout a few years ago and the guy cooking uses Brown sugar in his cornbread. It was good.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get some short ribs an toss them in the crock pot! you wont be disappointed.
Sweetie used to buy those ham slices about the size of a dinner plate, and chop up one and add it to the beans when she'd add the salt (after the beans started getting tender).

She'd also mash some of the beans with the stirring spoon (she used a pot on the stove) near the end of cook time to make the soup thicker.

<sigh> I miss her cookin'. :/

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since I'm the chief cook in this hood, beans will have a small amount of onion cooked with the beans, fresh garlic, and lots of ham. When eating, fresh onion on the side, and a healthy teaspoon of horseradish stirred into the bowl of beans.
Horseradish added is how my family ate it growing up. My wife thought it was going to taste bad, but when she tried a spoon of my beans with it mixed in, she won't eat beans any other way.
Cornbread in cast iron, with whole kernel corn and finely diced jalapeno in the mix.
I didn't have any horseradish for my beans today so I used Horsey Sauce. It was really good!

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since I'm the chief cook in this hood, beans will have a small amount of onion cooked with the beans, fresh garlic, and lots of ham. When eating, fresh onion on the side, and a healthy teaspoon of horseradish stirred into the bowl of beans.

Thank you! I tried it and I liked it! But then; I like horseradish and I like beans so...it was excellent. I did kind of a scientifically controlled experiment, horseradish on one bite, then Louisiana Hot Sauce on another...Hot Chow-Chow on yet another. Equally delicious; hard to tell which I like better. But the horseradish was a new taste and one well worth trying.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On this weeks meal schedule for Tuesday, Dutch oven full of cowboy beans and trying a low carb "cornbread". Not really cornbread but is supposed to be like it. I figure if it sucks I will just crumble it up into the cowboy beans.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Speaking of beans.......when we go to a Mexican restaurant, I order the Charro bean soup vs the refried. There are huge variations in Charro bean soups. Some incredible, some not so much although they all go under the same name.
Let's hear some recipes on that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom