Bear mauling

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"Maybe I should’ve been wearing bells"

No, genius. Ya shoulda been wearin' a fully loaded magnum... :shocked:

He mentions that. He left his handgun in the truck. He’s been doing these surveys in the wilderness for decades. He also mentioned that it all happened so fast he doubted if his firearm would have made a difference. He estimated the whole encounter lasted 10 seconds. But that one time...

I’ve been bluffed charged three times. I thank God for protecting from my own stupidity each time. But what I’ll never forget is how quick they happened and how fast a bear can move.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've posted this story before.
A guy was in the outhouse at a fishing camp in Ontario, Canada several years ago when a bear grabbed him and started dragging him into the woods. Another guy heard him yelling, came running with a gun and dispatched the bear.

Gord Shurvell, 65, was camping and fishing with a friend at a cabin by Dunbar Lake, about 60 kilometres north of Sioux Lookout, Ont., when the bear attacked him early Saturday.
Shurvell told CBC News he was in the outhouse, with the door wide open so he could enjoy the morning view, when the bear barged in.
"I'm sitting on the throne, and my feet are sort of up on the 'poopstool,' we call it," he said in an interview Wednesday.
"So I'm kicking at him to get away, but he grabbed my pants and that gotch that were down around my ankles. And that was the start of it, and he just kept coming."
When asked if the attack scared the "you-know-what" out of him, Shurvell replied, "It was already gone!"
"I'd already done my business," he added. "All the defence I had is a … piece of [toilet] paper in this hand."
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/mani...ck-survivor-was-grabbed-from-throne-1.1213872

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll be spending time fly fishing backwoods in Wyoming and Montana this summer where griz have a good population mostly by myself. Have the Ruger Super Redhawk lined out with some Buffalo Bore 260 grain copper solids, and I'm pretty confident in the ability to shoot it accurately, but there is always that situation where everything goes wrong.
Your more than likely to get hit by a lightning strike vs mauling by a bear.
Millions of people are in the wilderness annually.
It's just like living in the urban jungle, keep your head on a swivel, don't carry anything that might smell like food, and carry a big firearm that is easily accessible, keeping in mind how fast a griz can be. They can outrun a horse and kill it.

killerpigeon

Native off the Reservation
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bear Fu*ker.
HlhRL7I.gif

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
He mentions that. He left his handgun in the truck. He’s been doing these surveys in the wilderness for decades. He also mentioned that it all happened so fast he doubted if his firearm would have made a difference. He estimated the whole encounter lasted 10 seconds. But that one time...

I’ve been bluffed charged three times. I thank God for protecting from my own stupidity each time. But what I’ll never forget is how quick they happened and how fast a bear can move.
I’ve done some fishing on the backside of the Rockies in Colorado. Saw lots of signs the first time and a few bears while driving. One was eating an elk on the side of the road that just got hit by a car. That was pretty wild. Second time I went up there I brought a 10mm semi auto loaded with Buffalo bore dangerous game loads, so that I had a little something to protect myself with. I watched a whole bunch of bear charging videos just to get an idea of what I was looking at situation wise. Watching how fast they move makes my blood run cold, even watching them online. Luckily I haven’t run across one in person yet.

Latest posts

Top Bottom