Bear siting!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadh2o

Gunslinger
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It was midnight, we were sitting down by the Animas river. Still can't believe. The bear even looked our way then continued down the path. We watched for 100-200 feet.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We vacationed in Pagosa Springs in our camper back in 2009 for two weeks. There is so much to see in that area of Colorado, including Mesa Verde over by Cortez. Nice camping in Molas Lake Campground just south of Silverton. Of course, there is the Durango/Silverton steam train as well.

View at Molas Lake Campground

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
It was midnight, we were sitting down by the Animas river. Still can't believe. The bear even looked our way then continued down the path. We watched for 100-200 feet.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

That's where all the locals hang out and moon the train when it comes in! On a good note, the 'scenery' was pretty good last time.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a ton of relatives in the Cortzez, Durango, Telluride.....triangle.

Back in the late 1980's or early 90's when I lived up in the 4 Corners area I would fish the Dolores River a few miles East of the town of Dolores on one of my cousin's farms. I noticed a few scat drops and bear tracks around his farm...this was in the Spring and Summer months. When I'd be in Cortez, I'd swing by a grocery store(I think before Walmart or the Supercenter)....Central Market? Anyways...a real grocery store and get the outdated produce. Peaches, apples, watermelon, and cantelope, and bust it/cut it up around the area where the bear tracks were.

As the summer progressed I got to see the little(looked like a brown bear) bear as I'd fish the Dolores River.

chadh2o

Gunslinger
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lots of bears in Durango this year. My parents lease a house for 6 weeks every year at Vallecito Lake. Dad has had 3 cams out this year. Every night around 4am there was a bear on cam. There is a sow and two cubs and a big boar that comes around. They had to euthanize two on the other side of the lake a couple weeks ago.
Ouray is beautiful! Had to talk my wife into making the drive up from Durango. She loved Box Canyon.
https://durangoherald.com/articles/171808
Found Box Canyon. North of Ouray. May venture that way in the next couple of days. Staying in Ridgeway for tonight and tomorrow night. 52* at 8:30 pm ahhhhhhh.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Found Box Canyon. North of Ouray. May venture that way in the next couple of days. Staying in Ridgeway for tonight and tomorrow night. 52* at 8:30 pm ahhhhhhh.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Ahhhhhh, indeed - the exact reason the CO & NM mountains call out to Okies and Texans this time of year. I'm envious as that's a part of CO I have yet to visit.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One of my favorite websites. Give it a few seconds to load....I know I'm a dork, but I like to watch their 4th of July parade when I can.

https://www.telluride.com/webcam

That was pretty cool. We have friends in Farmington NM that hit the jeep trails there. Next time they go there I'll have them find the camera and pose for us.

Latest posts

Top Bottom