Beating the 21-foot rule

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Piss poor training session. Instructor borrowed a gun, dry fired it into the concrete without checking the chamber, used it in the demo and gave it back to the owner. With his back to the owner, asked to borrow the gun again at 2:47, never rechecked the chamber, nor dry fired it to back up it was safe before waving it around, sweeping the crowd and pointing it at the head of the stand by.
He did have trigger control, but that's a potential disaster waiting to happen.

soonersfan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Relax guys. It was an airsoft with an orange barrel. He asked the guy to remove the magazine and he aimed the pistol at the ground and pulled the trigger. I don't think anyone is going to be killed by a plastic bb ricochet of the ground.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Doesn't matter if it was a bb gun or what. He didn't' exhibit proper gun safety.
The whole purpose of any training session is to show gun safety and proficiency at the end of the session. He failed.
I went to a booth at an industry show that was advertising gun training with some inert blue guns at their station. When they talked to folks they asked them to pick up the guns and take a sight picture. They told me it was amazing how many swept the crowd, and actually pointed them at the folks behind the booth.
Muzzle/trigger control cannot be different between inert or active guns. It HAS to the the same so one does not forget the platform they are using.

Last edited:

soonersfan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Doesn't matter if it was a bb gun or what. He didn't' exhibit proper gun safety.
The whole purpose of any training session is to show gun safety and proficiency at the end of the session. He failed.
I went to a booth at an industry show that was advertising gun training with some inert blue guns at their station. When they talked to folks they asked them to pick up the guns and take a sight picture. They told me it was amazing how many swept the crowd, and actually pointed them at the folks behind the booth.
Muzzle/trigger control cannot be different between inert or active guns. It HAS to the the same so one does not forget the platform they are using.
I guess you are opposed to people playing with paintball guns, squirt guns, cap guns and nerf dart guns too? Muzzle control and trigger control can most certainly be different on toy and real guns unless you are not bright enough to know the difference between the two. I shoot at my kids all the time with a nerf dart gun and have zero fear that I am ever going to shoot at them with a real gun. They are also bright enough to understand the difference and I know they would never handle a real firearm the same way.

Airsoft, paintball and SIMS weapons have all become valuable training tools and are used world wide to train military, law enforcement and civilians. I've been shot with all three and shot others with all three and never felt I was in danger of anything other than getting a welt. I've also had rubber guns and knives pointed at my head or pointed them at other people's heads during hand to hand training. Again, there is nothing unsafe about it unless you lack the mental capacity to discern between a real weapon in a non training environment and a fake one in a training environment.

tomthebaker

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yup. Airsoft force on force training necessitates pointing the "gun" at your training opponent and pulling the trigger.

It's standard practice for force on force taught anywhere.

Latest posts

Top Bottom