Been bucked off a horse ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never been bucked off a horse but haven't rode more than a few, never trusted them. Now mules I have been bucked off, drug off, bitten and kicked. Spent one summer with two bruises on my chest in perfect horse shoe shape and 4 cracked ribs. My Granddad trained mules for hunting, taughtem to jump fences to follow bird dogs or coon dogs. He trained them to only jump a fence if a saddle blanket was placed over the fence. I got to be the guinea pig on first fence jumps if I was around. I think Grandpa loved me but sometimes I wondered.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Been on the ground looking up more times than I can remember. Raised on a farm and worked on cattle ranches many years. Most of the time It was the horse stumbling on the rocky ground we herded the cattle across.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Oh heck yeah!

I used to ride a lot when I was younger but I haven't been on horseback in more than forty years.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeppers...

...more than a few times.

Last one, I told the boss (father-in-law) that this horse was NEVER going to buck me off again, because I was NEVER going to get on him again. F-I-L didn't believe me when I said I wasn't doing anything to make him buck. So, one day, he decides to ride the horse and HE got bucked off.

Horse went to the sale the next week.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The biggest one that I will never forget was an older gentleman my family knew for a LONG time from the Spencer area. He broke mules until anyone could climb one and ride one, then he would sell it at our auction in Jones. He was at least 70 when he came riding into the arena on a mule tall enough to require laying forward on the saddle to fit under the auction block. They get in the arena and the crowd and noise spooks the mule which results in Cooksey on his back in the arena. Ive never seen an adult get back on their feet that quick much less a 70 year old man. He sharply grabbed the reins and informed everyone this one wasnt ready to sell just yet. I guess the mule registered his tone and intent because he laid his ears flat back and dropped his head while following Cooksey back out of the arena. It looked like a little kid that got caught up in the moment and did something they knew was wrong but didnt check themself in time, haha.

Ive always had an admiration for a pretty mule, more than horses. Id like, at some point, to be able to do some riding in the Rockies and possibly some hunting from horseback.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shouldn't be telling this on myself but the below meme brought the incident to mind.

I was probably around 13 or 14 and got put on a Greyhound bus in Wisc. and sent to my uncle in Kaintuck, who was a share cropper on a pig and tobacco farm, in hopes that he could work some of the meanness out of me (it didn't work :)).

My uncle had a old single shot Winchester .22 LR that I used to hunt groundhogs with and then I'd bring them back to the house and my aunt would cook them and they were darn good baked with sweet potatoes around them.

Anyway, there was a old mare that he was boarding for free for a older lady that could no longer care for it and even tho I'd been told not to ride her once in awhile I'd sneak and ride it bareback around the farm then one day I figured I'd save some walking and ride the mare to the far back side of the farm to hunt groundhogs so I grabbed the old Winch., a few shells, got on the mare and headed out.

Still on the mare and almost to where I was headed I saw a groundhog down in a pasture so I shouldered the .22, which put the muzzle just about between the mares ears, and touched off a round........the horse sent me and the rifle flying through the air and she hauled butt back to the barn.

The fall dazed and knocked the wind out of me and broke the stock on the old .22.......afraid to tell my uncle the truth about breaking the stock by shooting from the horse I told him that I'd dropped it from the hay loft in the barn but I still got my butt torn up. :)

View attachment 293322
I have lots of horse stories, the funniest one has to, be when a buddy and I decided to enter the barrell pick up at the local rodeo. If anyone don't know, the barrel pick up is where one guy stands on a barrell at the other end of the arena, and you ride and turn around the barrel, and the barrel man jumps on the horse while moving, and race back, a times event. I had a good Ol black gilding, names Slim, that had been used for everything, from jumping off a bluff into the swiming hole with me on him, to plowing the garden, that was fast, and my buddies horse was nuts, and not sutable for much of anything. My buddy out weighed me by about 60/70 pounds but he was my horse, so he got the barrel man job. We set up barrel in the pasture, and was going to practice. Ol Slim, took off, turned the barrel without slowing at all. He wrapped his arm around my waste and jumped, I thought I had a good hold, but this jerked me backwards, and I clamped down whitch just made Ol Slim dig even harder! My buddy hit the ground, I went back so far I had both feet on the sturrups, and was straddling ol Slims rump. Ether my buddy, or Ol Slim farted LOUDLY, and I was laughing ( DUMB KID) All I could reach was the saddle blanket, If I had gone on down, and my feet hadn't came out of the stirrups, Ol Slim would have likely kicked me in half? I stayed with him, until I managed to climb back up, and in the saddle, all at a full run! We decided to just be specttators at the rodeo!

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
The biggest one that I will never forget was an older gentleman my family knew for a LONG time from the Spencer area. He broke mules until anyone could climb one and ride one, then he would sell it at our auction in Jones. He was at least 70 when he came riding into the arena on a mule tall enough to require laying forward on the saddle to fit under the auction block. They get in the arena and the crowd and noise spooks the mule which results in Cooksey on his back in the arena. Ive never seen an adult get back on their feet that quick much less a 70 year old man. He sharply grabbed the reins and informed everyone this one wasnt ready to sell just yet. I guess the mule registered his tone and intent because he laid his ears flat back and dropped his head while following Cooksey back out of the arena. It looked like a little kid that got caught up in the moment and did something they knew was wrong but didnt check themself in time, haha.

Ive always had an admiration for a pretty mule, more than horses. Id like, at some point, to be able to do some riding in the Rockies and possibly some hunting from horseback.
Irregardless of what the movies patray, old timers east, and west, that depended on animals for transportation, used mules, and gated horses, far more than we know. In mountainous terrine, Mules are far more sure footed, and less excitable as a rule! To travel gated horses Tennesee Walkers, American Saddle Horses, and literally dozens of others, some of which have been forgotten, were used by anyone that could afford a Cadilac, instead of a Model T Ford! When I was a young teenager our neighbor had an old Tennessee Walker stud, that was over 20 years old. This neighbor was old, and in poor health, and he ask me to ride this stud because he needed exercise. I jumped all over this, this was down in the Ozarks, and I rode him a couple of time a week for a long time. there would be 15 or 20 boys on horses at times, every type horse you can imagine, most not very expensive, just poor kids, including me. This Ol stud was a GENTLEMAN!! Once saddled you would never know he was a stud horse, when riding with mares. We just rode the back roads, and this Ol horse would be singlefooting, so smothly you could have drank a cup of coffee without spilling it, while all the other horses were in a fast lope, and jarring the riders teeth out! That expedience sold me on gated horses!

Latest posts

Top Bottom