Beginning welder equipment

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyberslider

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All you welders out there - I've got some projects that require welding. I have never welded before but I don't doubt that I could do it - these are fairly small projects that won't be putting anyone's life in harms way if the weld fails. Well, except for maybe a floor board patch I need to do on an old car I'm working on.

I was thinking about buying this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/weldin...flux-wire-welder-22-volts-110-amps-68885.html

It's a MIG/flux wire combo on sale now for 170 bucks. It is 240 volt, 20 amp.

I'm not trying to get into welding to support myself and family. As I said, have a few small projects. So, I don't want to spend a fortune just for that. I was also planning on either renting or purchasing a CO2 or Argon bottle to do some MIG stuff (for the floor board work).

Anyone have any experience with this equipment? Do you think it is sufficient for the guy who has a few projects but knows no one personally that can weld or owns a welder?

Appreciate any constructive input.

Thanks.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All you welders out there - I've got some projects that require welding. I have never welded before but I don't doubt that I could do it - these are fairly small projects that won't be putting anyone's life in harms way if the weld fails. Well, except for maybe a floor board patch I need to do on an old car I'm working on.

I was thinking about buying this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/weldin...flux-wire-welder-22-volts-110-amps-68885.html

It's a MIG/flux wire combo on sale now for 170 bucks. It is 240 volt, 20 amp.

I'm not trying to get into welding to support myself and family. As I said, have a few small projects. So, I don't want to spend a fortune just for that. I was also planning on either renting or purchasing a CO2 or Argon bottle to do some MIG stuff (for the floor board work).

Anyone have any experience with this equipment? Do you think it is sufficient for the guy who has a few projects but knows no one personally that can weld or owns a welder?

Appreciate any constructive input.

Thanks.

I'm not a huge HF fan for many power tools, that said that is cheap for what it is. I tend to stay with the name brands in welders, but you aren't going to find anything new for $170.

The difference will be the duty cycle(how long you can weld with it), and the quality of the wire feed components. For $170 I would consider buying, and it it didn't work well just take it back, HF is pretty good about taking them back if they don't work.

cyberslider

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, the duty cycle is pretty limited. I think it was 20% at 110 amps.

What name brands would you recommend? My local Lowes has a Lincoln flux welder. Tractor Supply carries Hobart.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I really consider spending a couple hundred more and getting into a Lincoln like a 140 that comes with the regulator. Do a forum search do a welder thread started by me

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, the duty cycle is pretty limited. I think it was 20% at 110 amps.

What name brands would you recommend? My local Lowes has a Lincoln flux welder. Tractor Supply carries Hobart.

I've got a Lincoln WeldPak that has served me well, I don't weld alot of heavy material, all less than 3/16". I'd like to have a big 220V machine but honestly for what I do the little Lincoln is outstanding, I bought it in the clearance area of HD with the gas kit for $225. I wouldn't have any issues with the Hobart either, I think they are actually made by one of the larger Suppliers.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hobart is owned by Miller and some of the models are identical other than the color and the badge on the front.

To the OP, I think you will be disappointed with the HF offerings. The little Lincoln 110v units at Lowe's can be extremely handy and I'd for sure go for MIG over flux core.

If you are setup for it, 220v is going to be much nicer than 110v but the little units will do a ton of work.

Last edited:

oldkar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i have restored cars for 30 years . have 2 mig welders and have done more patch panels than my back wants to remember. only weld sheet metal with mig/argon co2 mix. if you use fluxcore you will just blow holes in the metal. i started with a 110 volt co2 gas and worked great on sheet metal. lincoln, hobart, miller, 130 to 140 amp will work fine. sooner state pawn has a nice miller at their north location , did not notice if it had a regulator or not

Preacherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Welding is fun. I have a lincoln myself but went for the big boy. I would suggest an auto darkening helmet. You can find one for around $50 but they are worth the added expense (IMO).

Latest posts

Top Bottom