Beginning welder equipment

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get a brand name welder - Miller is what I use.
Forget flux - I have no idea why it still exists, maybe only if you want your welds to look crappy on purpose.
Sheet-metal welding is very hard for beginners.

If you want to learn "right" from the get-go - take a class at the metro-tech - you'll waste more money in material learning how to weld than the tuition (it's like $150).

nighttrain

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got to agree with everyone, get a name brand welder with a small gas bottle and practice some welding. I weld with Lincoln 220 mig, stick, and spool at work. They are all great machine and will get what you are looking for.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Forget flux - I have no idea why it still exists, maybe only if you want your welds to look crappy on purpose.

If you want to learn "right" from the get-go - take a class at the metro-tech - you'll waste more money in material learning how to weld than the tuition (it's like $150).

THIS. The intro welding classes are a blast. I took mine at Tulsa Tech where you get to do some oxy\acetylene, MIG, stick, and TIG welding and you get to try out all kinds of welders by the big manufacturers. You also get to try out welding various types of metals.

I'm a hobbyist so for me, welding is one of those things that is just plain enjoyable and can be done on my own time. I suppose if I did it for a living it would get like any other job. After I got to try out several machines in class I ended up buying my favorite, a Lincoln Precision TIG 185. I also have one of the little 110v Lincoln MIG units that I managed to get for free. :woot:

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
THIS. The intro welding classes are a blast. I took mine at Tulsa Tech where you get to do some oxy\acetylene, MIG, stick, and TIG welding and you get to try out all kinds of welders by the big manufacturers. You also get to try out welding various types of metals.

I'm a hobbyist so for me, welding is one of those things that is just plain enjoyable and can be done on my own time. I suppose if I did it for a living it would get like any other job. After I got to try out several machines in class I ended up buying my favorite, a Lincoln Precision TIG 185. I also have one of the little 110v Lincoln MIG units that I managed to get for free. :woot:

If a dude could swing it, the commercial Miller and Lincoln 220v MIG units are just beautiful machines.

CrossJ

Marksman
Reaction score
All of the smaller mig welders have a short duty cycle. Your looking at 20% to 30% in most machines under 200a. Truthfully, this is not a big problem; if it is, you need a bigger machine.

Cyber, I would recommend the miller 140. I weld for a living, and prefer blue machines. There is nothing wrong with lincoln though, especially in the smaller machines. First thing to do is check out your local weld supply store, see what they carry. You will want easy access to consumibles. Talk to them about bottle leasing also, because as has been said, you will want to use a smooth gas sheilded wire for most applications. Fluxcore has its uses too, so keeping a spool of fc wire handy will proove handy.

Maintain

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Welding is fun....
I guess it can be for the weekend hobbyist.....but it tends to lose it's luster after 16hrs, upside down, in a 100deg shop.
:D

All of the smaller mig welders have a short duty cycle. Your looking at 20% to 30% in most machines under 200a. Truthfully, this is not a big problem; if it is, you need a bigger machine.
Cyber, I would recommend the miller 140. I weld for a living, and prefer blue machines. There is nothing wrong with lincoln though, especially in the smaller machines

As others are saying, you'll really be much better off with a name brand machine.
The HF unit (and other cheaply made stuff) will ultimately disappoint and frustrate you, and can even significantly steepen the learning curve if yer havin' to dick with it all the time....so consider more than just the lure of a low sticker price.
If you do some lookin', you may find quality used gear for a good price.
A good Lincoln or Miller will last virtually forever......I've been using an extremely old Synchrowave 300 that runs better than any other machine I've tried, new or old.

While your projects won't likely require a high duty cycle rig anyway, it's nice to have a machine that you can grow with....Ya' know?

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Cyber, I would recommend the miller 140. I weld for a living, and prefer blue machines. There is nothing wrong with lincoln though, especially in the smaller machines. First thing to do is check out your local weld supply store, see what they carry. You will want easy access to consumibles. Talk to them about bottle leasing also, because as has been said, you will want to use a smooth gas sheilded wire for most applications. Fluxcore has its uses too, so keeping a spool of fc wire handy will proove handy.

Maintain
You'll be happy with either of thoes welders but I'd like to push the miller 180. It is in the same $ and has an autoset feature that automatically adjusts the feed which is great for the beginner. The best prices are on eBay and if you do get one there make sure your signed up for eBay bucks so you can get the bucks

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Various welding supply companies setup welders at trade shows and afterwards sell the machines at a discount. Might be worth looking into.

All this welder talk makes me want to go melt some metal.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't have much to add, as I don't weld, but my father does occasionally and he picked up one of the Lincoln 110v Mig welders as an open box pretty cheap at Lowe's or Home Depot. His advise was that if you only use it rarely, the 110v was handier as you can use it more places (i.e. don't need the 220v outlet). It makes sense to me - to have something a bit more versatile that he can use at his house, my house, the back yard, etc. It's worked pretty well for him the last few years. Just something to consider.

He also mentioned he wanted one with settings that were infinitely adjustable, meaning the the wire speed, etc. were on a smooth dial and not just a know with 6 clicks. I guess he had used those before and got frustrated with the speed he needed always being in-between settings.

Latest posts

Top Bottom