Being a 'Good Samaritan'

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For me the bottom line is always 'will someone get hurt or worse if I don't act?' That is my reason for carrying my S&W. I don't carry to see justice served or to protect the property of anyone. I carry to preserve life, either my own or someone else's. The last thing I want to do is make a situation worse, hence I will act with great restraint.

About the only circumstances under which I'd shoot in the scenario presented in the OP is if the bad guy was to make us go into the back room. Such actions sometimes don't end well for the victims.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In the event of a robbery, my primary goal is to be a good witness. No one's money is worth increasing the risk to life by initiating gunplay. The moment someone gets hurt, the OODA loop is going to kick in and decisions will be made in the moment that hopefully safeguard my family, self and bystanders in that order.

In the event of an active shooter, my decision to either engage the shooter, assist in evacuation or providing 1st Aid to the wounded will be dictated by the circumstances at hand. Neutralizing the threat is one way to save lives in a mass casualty scenario, but not the only way. Being alert to danger and prepared to take action are the most critical factors you have direct control over. Everything else is dictated by the circumstances at hand.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Each scenario requires individual assessment of that particular perp and situation. There is no blanket solution IMO, until/unless the perp fires a weapon or otherwise injures someone (knife, axe, etc.).

In which case he should be taken out immediately, or as soon as is practically possible. I don't recommend charging an AK head-on firing full-auto, for example.

As usual, just my two cents. :drunk2:

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
About the only circumstances under which I'd shoot in the scenario presented in the OP is if the bad guy was to make us go into the back room. Such actions often don't end well for the victims.
Fixed it. There's even a term for it: "secondary crime scene." If Joe Critter starts moving people, the odds of somebody getting injured or killed rise dramatically. That's the point at which it's worth taking on a gunman bare-handed, because you still have a better chance of survival than if you comply.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Godfrey of Ibelin- "Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong. That is your oath."
Lots of folks in our society today "don't want to get involved".... and criminals know this.

What's the saying about evil triumphing because good men do nothing?
What's that saying about soaring eagles, weasels and jet engines?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going with the, circumstances will determine my actions crowd.
In fluid situations, you have to take everything under consideration. Is the guy at the potato chip aisle an armed accomplice to the guy holding a gun on the store clerk? If you draw, you could be shot down from behind.
If you shoot with the armed robber's gun in the face of the clerk, will an involuntary reaction cause the robber's gun to go off and shoot the clerk?
If you shoot, will your round exit and hit someone in the parking lot, or the clerk?
There are so many scenario's involved in actually pulling the trigger that you just can't cover them all.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Fixed it. There's even a term for it: "secondary crime scene." If Joe Critter starts moving people, the odds of somebody getting injured or killed rise dramatically. That's the point at which it's worth taking on a gunman bare-handed, because you still have a better chance of survival than if you comply.
Yes, Counselor; I know and the reason I said it like I did was so I would not exaggerate my statements. Credibility is very important to me.

Does this make sense?

Evan Marshall said that two things he wouldn't do in such a situation: one was to be herded into a back room and the other is to lie down on the floor. He is, in fact, who I got it from.

Latest posts

Top Bottom