Being a 'Good Samaritan'

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James41

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In today's world if you shoot you better be ready for hell to descend on you. First from over zealous cops, then from a DA looking to build his reputation in court. Even if found a righteous shooting the very good possibility of a civil suit from the crook, or his family is very high and you could quite easily loose everything you have and ever will have.

If the crook just wants money better think long and hard about what it could very easily cost you, remember it is not your money or your job. Now if he starts getting mean and crazy and things are going downhill fast you may need to do something, just keep in mind what is waiting for you after the smoke clears, and ask yourself is it really worth it ? If the answer is yes, then three quick ones in the center mass chest is usually a good start.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In today's world if you shoot you better be ready for hell to descend on you. First from over zealous cops, then from a DA looking to build his reputation in court. Even if found a righteous shooting the very good possibility of a civil suit from the crook, or his family is very high and you could quite easily loose everything you have and ever will have.

If the crook just wants money better think long and hard about what it could very easily cost you, remember it is not your money or your job. Now if he starts getting mean and crazy and things are going downhill fast you may need to do something, just keep in mind what is waiting for you after the smoke clears, and ask yourself is it really worth it ? If the answer is yes, then three quick ones in the center mass chest is usually a good start.
21 O.S. 1289.25:

F. A person who uses defensive force, as permitted pursuant to the provisions of subsections B [at home/castle doctrine] and D [anywhere else/stand-your-ground doctrine] of this section, is justified in using such defensive force and is immune from criminal prosecution and civil action for the use of such defensive force. As used in this subsection, the term "criminal prosecution" includes charging or prosecuting the defendant.

G. A law enforcement agency may use standard procedures for investigating the use of defensive force, but the law enforcement agency may not arrest the person for using defensive force unless it determines that there is probable cause that the defensive force that was used was unlawful.

H. The court shall award reasonable attorney fees, court costs, compensation for loss of income, and all expenses incurred by the defendant in defense of any civil action brought by a plaintiff if the court finds that the defendant is immune from prosecution as provided in subsection F of this section [emphasis mine].

James41

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's all well and good Dave if you could count on it going like that, however that don't mean that is the way things actually get done in our "Justice System". More than one has suddenly found themselves in jail and being charged when in reality they should not have been arrested and charged. Just because you are right doesn't mean you will be found justified and a good DA looking for a way up in politics has more than once made the charges stick, or later in civil court some shyster bankrupts you and your family. I still say ask yourself "Is It Worth It ? before you pull that trigger. Some times it is, most times it's not.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's all well and good Dave if you could count on it going like that, however that don't mean that is the way things actually get done in our "Justice System". More than one has suddenly found themselves in jail and being charged when in reality they should not have been arrested and charged. Just because you are right doesn't mean you will be found justified and a good DA looking for a way up in politics has more than once made the charges stick, or later in civil court some shyster bankrupts you and your family. I still say ask yourself "Is It Worth It ? before you pull that trigger. Some times it is, most times it's not.

Please cite the cases you're referring to, thanks.

James41

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry, i am not a lawyer, nor your personal search engine. You might start though at http://ccwsafe.com and watch the video of Stephan Maddox who was charged with murder one after a self defense shooting. If you care to go on from there i am sure you will find others in the same boat when you really dig. Happy hunting...

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry, i am not a lawyer, nor your personal search engine. You might start though at http://ccwsafe.com and watch the video of Stephan Maddox who was charged with murder one after a self defense shooting. If you care to go on from there i am sure you will find others in the same boat when you really dig. Happy hunting...
Funny, you're arguing with a lawyer about Oklahoma law, and you can't even back up your assertions about Oklahoma law with a case anywhere near Oklahoma. You'r kinda special, aren't you? Bless your heart!

James41

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Better go back and read my post, i was not arguing with Dave about the law. The law as he posted is fine and dandy if followed to the letter. What i was saying if your reading ability is good enough was that the law sometimes gets twisted around according to the political whims and justice is not always done. Police now and then in their zeal and sometimes personal feelings pass over things that don't fit their personal opinions in order to get convictions, while DA's who want to be governor may ignore actual evidence and sometimes hid it in order to get convictions and in those cases, thankfully a low percentage yes, justice does not get done.

But then your not really interested in that are you, instead all you want to do is make personal attacks on anyone who doesn't agree with you. Sorry, but i don't really want to play the game of wallowing in the mud with a pig. Thank you for your well meant blessing, it means a lot me, may i return the favor and end this stupidity.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Better go back and read my post, i was not arguing with Dave about the law. The law as he posted is fine and dandy if followed to the letter. What i was saying if your reading ability is good enough was that the law sometimes gets twisted around according to the political whims and justice is not always done. Police now and then in their zeal and sometimes personal feelings pass over things that don't fit their personal opinions in order to get convictions, while DA's who want to be governor may ignore actual evidence and sometimes hid it in order to get convictions and in those cases, thankfully a low percentage yes, justice does not get done.

But then your not really interested in that are you, instead all you want to do is make personal attacks on anyone who doesn't agree with you. Sorry, but i don't really want to play the game of wallowing in the mud with a pig. Thank you for your well meant blessing, it means a lot me, may i return the favor and end this stupidity.

You posted erroneous information
Even if found a righteous shooting the very good possibility of a civil suit from the crook, or his family is very high and you could quite easily loose everything you have and ever will have.
that the SDA law specifically addresses and you got called on it. My request was rhetorical because I knew you couldn't provide any Oklahoma cases where a SDA permit holder who had a shooting ruled justifiable, was sued in civil court. You were wrong and you crawfished, just like you did in the other thread.

My passive-aggressive BS detector was pinging hard on your posts, so I called you on it. It really is that simple and now I'm done. Have a day.

Latest posts

Top Bottom