Being a 'Good Samaritan'

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That was a question that was brought up when I was part of the Students for Concealed Carry on Campus.

"What if you are misidentified by responding LE?"

Basically the following hypothetical. Assuming an "active shooter" scenario, not robbery, of course.

Mr. Ima Bad Guy pulls Glock & Wesson XD from bag with Super Extendo magazine, starts shooting. I pull mine, shoot him. Then LE busts through the door and shoot me since I haven't had time to re-holster.

My response then, as it is now, is this:

That's horrible. And something I must be ready for as a CCW holder. I could die "in the line of fire" and it could be friendly fire. That's a risk I'm willing to take. Sure, I want to mitigate that risk as much as possible. Like Givens said, engage, verify no more threat, get gun out of hand.

I (the armed citizen - LE or not) have to understand that if I choose to respond, I am doing so to stop the threat NOW, because I am the fastest response. I don't know and can't trust that LE will bust in in the next two seconds; because it could be 2 minutes later. And two minutes could be a dozen or more people dead.

Again, all that applies to an active shooter / hostage / herding type scenario vs a simple robbery.
100% agree. I can usually re-holster one-handed without looking (depending on the holster of course) so as soon as I verify the threat is not longer that, I re-holster and wait for LE.

This assumes that I have just engaged an active shooter as you said, and not a robbery where no one has been hurt.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There was a mass shooting in Kileen Tx where a lady with a permit went in with her parents to eat. Gunbuster sign at the door so she left her CC in the vehicle. Guy comes in, starts shooting up the place, her dad charges the guy during a reload and is killed along with many others.
Another guy left his gun in the vehicle while going into a mall. Guy dressed in a trench coat pulls out an AK 47, and starts blasting people.
Guy that left his gun in the car is 20 yds away hunkered down behind a counter wishing he had his gun.
Guy in OKC goes into the post office and shoots people because he know's no guns in the area.
Those stories happened a few years back.
Never happen to me because I won't leave my gun in the vehicle. It's stupid that you can't carry into a post office. Gun buster signs are ignored.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
There was a mass shooting in Kileen Tx where a lady with a permit went in with her parents to eat. Gunbuster sign at the door so she left her CC in the vehicle. Guy comes in, starts shooting up the place, her dad charges the guy during a reload and is killed along with many others.
Another guy left his gun in the vehicle while going into a mall. Guy dressed in a trench coat pulls out an AK 47, and starts blasting people.
Guy that left his gun in the car is 20 yds away hunkered down behind a counter wishing he had his gun.
Guy in OKC goes into the post office and shoots people because he know's no guns in the area.
Those stories happened a few years back.
Never happen to me because I won't leave my gun in the vehicle. It's stupid that you can't carry into a post office. Gun buster signs are ignored.
One of those is incorrect

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That was a question that was brought up when I was part of the Students for Concealed Carry on Campus.

"What if you are misidentified by responding LE?"

Basically the following hypothetical. Assuming an "active shooter" scenario, not robbery, of course.

Mr. Ima Bad Guy pulls Glock & Wesson XD from bag with Super Extendo magazine, starts shooting. I pull mine, shoot him. Then LE busts through the door and shoot me since I haven't had time to re-holster.

My response then, as it is now, is this:

That's horrible. And something I must be ready for as a CCW holder. I could die "in the line of fire" and it could be friendly fire. That's a risk I'm willing to take. Sure, I want to mitigate that risk as much as possible. Like Givens said, engage, verify no more threat, get gun out of hand.

I (the armed citizen - LE or not) have to understand that if I choose to respond, I am doing so to stop the threat NOW, because I am the fastest response. I don't know and can't trust that LE will bust in in the next two seconds; because it could be 2 minutes later. And two minutes could be a dozen or more people dead.

Again, all that applies to an active shooter / hostage / herding type scenario vs a simple robbery.
Is there an incident in which a good Samaritan has been shot by police? I've not read about one.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is there an incident in which a good Samaritan has been shot by police? I've not read about one.
After the Virginia Tech shooting spree, one of the late-night news programs did a demonstration that showed that this was a bad idea. I'm looking for it now and when I find it, I'll post it.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After the Virginia Tech shooting spree, one of the late-night news programs did a demonstration that showed that this was a bad idea. I'm looking for it now and when I find it, I'll post it.
A clarification: the bad idea referred to in my quoted post was campus carry.

Here is the evidence that VPC put out, obligingly parroted by their media acolytes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom