Being a 'Good Samaritan'

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Actually, it does make some good reverse psychology points:

1) Make sure no one knows you have are carrying.
2) Take cover/concealment FIRST, shoot from cover/concealment SECOND
3) Practice drawing with what you wear. (don't practice wearing some tac vest and holster then carry with a tiny gun holster under baggy shirts)
4) Don't sit in the front middle.

Last and most important: Don't volunteer for an ABC "Study".

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes; I agree with you but we spoke of specific flaws in their methodology, and your post while the vast majority here agree with it, addressed ideological concerns. Valid? Of course, but the majority of the public when they watch stuff like this, see police telling us that we'll for sure and for certain get killed if we use a gun to stop a mass shooter. And since the police are all experts when it comes to guns*, we should do as they tell us. Most of the time, John Q won't see past this silliness unless he is pretty strongly pro-gun.

*They're not, of course.

Do I really need to post the litany of false assumptions regarding this absolute joke of a setup? The premise of the hit piece was that armed citizens will almost always get themselves killed. ABC and the popo firearms instructor were on board to make sure the setup supported that premise, from the "random" draw, control of the environment, the AS knowing which seat the student with the gun was sitting in, the protective gear which interfered with accessing the firearm, poorly fit holster, clothing that was too large and bulky, etc. It was all intended to arrive at a predetermined conclusion.

We all know that simply being armed and even being well trained and equipped doesn't guarantee you will survive, merely that you have a better than average opportunity to control your own destiny. It's not like anything else in that setup gave all the other students a better opportunity to survive. :(

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The bold red, do you mean the video makes good points?

They didn't tell us what the actual "training" of the students was. Other than some vague implication that "it is more than half the states require to carry". Which doesn't tell us anything. Some states require no training at all.

They set up the audience.

They set up the bad guy to succeed. (training and knowledge)

They didn't show us all 6 actors. They only showed 3 that failed. How did the other three do? Did they all pass (meaning subdue the attacker) hence being cut due to the "study" being clearly and fundamentally biased?

The student was always in the same place. When I was a potential carrier, I never sat front middle.

I would argue that just like the student's chances of success, there is little to no valid data from this video.

Here's the article that went with it in 2009.

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=7298996&page=1
I can't think of any good points the video had. It was set up to tell the public that campus carry is a bad idea, and will never help. IOW, it was a propaganda piece--a hit piece--on campus carry more than anything else.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do I really need to post the litany of false assumptions regarding this absolute joke of a setup? The premise of the hit piece was that armed citizens will almost always get themselves killed. ABC and the popo firearms instructor were on board to make sure the setup supported that premise, from the "random" draw, control of the environment, the AS knowing which seat the student with the gun was sitting in, the protective gear which interfered with accessing the firearm, poorly fit holster, clothing that was too large and bulky, etc. It was all intended to arrive at a predetermined conclusion.

We all know that simply being armed and even being well trained and equipped doesn't guarantee you will survive, merely that you have a better than average opportunity to control your own destiny. It's not like anything else in that setup gave all the other students a better opportunity to survive. :(
Are you waiting for me to agree with you? I do already. Like I said before, it was a set-up from the beginning against campus CCW. The part I highlighted was simply one of the most egregious parts of the story. The cops posing as the bad guys knew who the campus carrier was and where he sat, so all they had to do was target him and voila` CCW does no good.

I'm actually on your side here guys. I very much support campus carry and have for a long time.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I can't think of any good points the video had. It was set up to tell the public that campus carry is a bad idea, and will never help. IOW, it was a propaganda piece--a hit piece--on campus carry more than anything else.

Gotcha. That's what I thought you were saying, then I couldn't tell for sure; so I asked.

I agree. Propaganda. You could hear it in her voice the whole time.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Are you waiting for me to agree with you? I do already. Like I said before, it was a set-up from the beginning against campus CCW. The part I highlighted was simply one of the most egregious parts of the story. The cops posing as the bad guys knew who the campus carrier was and where he sat, so all they had to do was target him and voila` CCW does no good.

I'm actually on your side here guys. I very much support campus carry and have for a long time.

Good to hear. I've talked to a few (very strongly Pro-2A otherwise) LEO's who are not. I have never understood why; and the reasons I've been given are very much anti-gun talking points that are senseless. So I don't assume people support CC on Campus just because they support the 2A.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good to hear. I've talked to a few (very strongly Pro-2A otherwise) LEO's who are not. I have never understood why; and the reasons I've been given are very much anti-gun talking points that are senseless. So I don't assume people support CC on Campus just because they support the 2A.
I do very much.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK, now that we have that cleared up (hopefully) what is the best thing to do in the event that a BG starts shooting? Due to a balance impairment, I walk with a cane, so I can't realistically expect to exit the area as fast as you young folks can, and this being the case, my first response will be to get behind cover as soon as I can. If I am at a shopping mall for example get behind one of the support columns.

What then? Do I engage the bad guy? Observe and report, or something else?

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK, now that we have that cleared up (hopefully) what is the best thing to do in the event that a BG starts shooting? Due to a balance impairment, I walk with a cane, so I can't realistically expect to exit the area as fast as you young folks can, and this being the case, my first response will be to get behind cover as soon as I can. If I am at a shopping mall for example get behind one of the support columns.

What then? Do I engage the bad guy? Observe and report, or something else?
Hard to answer; it's going to depend upon the circumstances. If he's 5 yards away, shoot to slide lock; if he's at the other end of the hallway, get out. There are just too many variables to answer definitively.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hard to answer; it's going to depend upon the circumstances. If he's 5 yards away, shoot to slide lock; if he's at the other end of the hallway, get out. There are just too many variables to answer definitively.
Agreed. I was wanting to continue the discussion.

Personally if I was pretty sure I could do any good against the BG, like, as you say, if he is fairly close to me I'd try and engage (shoot) him, then put my revolver away and wait for the LEO's to get me.

I'd try to convey to the arriving cops that I am hard of hearing and stay as still as the shakes permit.

Latest posts

Top Bottom