Being prepared for natural disasters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After ready a few replies on other threads I thought I'd share my ways of having more than one way to prepare meals and not sit in a dark cold house if the power should be interrupted.

I'm not including generators. I'm just talking about older proven ways that have worked for decades.

Most of what I list is generally inexpensive if sourced ahead of time at yard sales, flea markets, etc.

The old hurricane lanterns are still a way to light your quarters. They sip fuel and the wick will last a long time. Do not put candle oil in them, it is paraffin based and will clog the wick. Do use lamp oil or kerosene. That is what they were designed for. Check them before you need them.

coleman lanterns, propane or liquid fuel. buy extra mantles and a generator for it. The generators can be rebuilt if in a pinch. There are videos and forums to help you get familiar with keeping a coleman lantern in working condition. The crown fuel in wally world is cheaper than the coleman brand and works just as good.

coleman suitcase stoves for cooking. You can get a coleman oven that sits on top to bake in. Again they stoves come in liquid fuel or propane . Most of the propane ones can be hooked to a larger tank with a hose adapter.

Do not buy into the duel fuel hype. Every liquid fuel lantern or stove ever built is duel fuel. Duel fuel does not mean coleman fuel or diesel. It means white gas( coleman fuel, crown camping fuel) or gasoline. Gasoline will foul the generator quicker and if left in the fuel tank can gum it up.

Most of these items take up very little space. one drawback is spiders, dirt daubers, bugs etc can build nests in the air tubes and cause problems.

Coleman does produce a kerosene lantern. It works just like the other white gas cousins with one exception. The generator has to be pre heated before lighting.

The older coleman quick light white gas lanterns also need the generator preheated before lighting.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMG_20210211_013031294.jpg

This is a coleman quick light model 427 with external pump made in 1926. It works bjust as good or better than a new one.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, the paraffin/kerosene debacle gets people all the time. I bought into the lamps years ago while addicted to British bushcraft videos. They call kerosene paraffin as interchangeable. I've cooked many breakfasts and late night snacks on the wood stove in the shop. The one time lost power due to winter weather, the vintage propane Coleman tent heater put out the BTU's. Watch that 3am stumble to the bathroom though... ten years later, I still have a bald spot on my leg.

Cooked many a meals in camp one one of these diy can stoves. Making them is tedious if you roll the edges.. i always just shot a few rivets into them.. They run on an ounce or two of denatured alcohol, hot and efficient. Just don't go expecting it to carry cast iron. I just use an old gi mess kit. Cup for liquids, plate for everything else.

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have a hurricane lamp. Several months ago we bought lamp oil and wicks. Oddly, the wick burns right along with the oil. Still haven't gotten around to figuring out what is up with that. Had to buy the wicks off Amazon. Maybe that's the problem. Anybody know a retailer that would for sure sell good wicks for a hurricane lamp?

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have a Dearborn heater, but it uses the only propane line running into the house. Could heat something on its apron in a pinch I guess. But we'd probably just eat sandwiches for a few days. :D

I do have a single burner that screws on the little short/fat propane bottles (still new in the box). Coleman, I think. Have one full bottle and one with a torch on it. Also have a propane grill in the shop if we really get in a bind.

Bought 100 gallons of propane Tuesday. Kinda surprised (happily) it was only $2.00 per gallon.

Oh yeah... we do have a glass lamp that's been used very little. The bottle of lamp oil probably has some age on it though. Also have several candles.
:drunk2:

Latest posts

Top Bottom