Being prepared for natural disasters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So there's no problem with burning Coleman fuel indoors?

As drafty as my house there is no danger. But one needs to take precautions if your house is air tight. Crack a window.
My Grandparents used a coleman stove as their main cook top when my Dad was a kid. Every house I have ever lived in including now has had plenty of drafts to provide fresh air.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have a hurricane lamp. Several months ago we bought lamp oil and wicks. Oddly, the wick burns right along with the oil. Still haven't gotten around to figuring out what is up with that. Had to buy the wicks off Amazon. Maybe that's the problem. Anybody know a retailer that would for sure sell good wicks for a hurricane lamp?

Lower the wick. Most let the wick stick up to far. It goes down and acts like it will go out, but it won’t, it will rise in flame going down to correct position. We used them for only light fir years in a cabin, i only remember putting a wick in one every few years. We keep two nice ones in our home for emergency.

Last edited:

Louro

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got all the above and a jet boil. I use the jet boil to boil water for coffee and for the dehydrated meals. I crank the stove when I want a more gourmet meal.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So there's no problem with burning Coleman fuel indoors?

Never burned Coleman fuel, but most white fuels are so refined and efficient, carbon monoxide occurs at such a low level, it isn't a worry in the short time you use them. Similar to natural gas. CO2? Sure, but levels so low you don't "need" a ventilator to remove fumes.

Propane is my goto indoor fuel. I have an older tombstone heater, but I keep a bottle top heater in the garage. It's also so efficient, it releases carbon dioxide (CO2) and water (H2O) into the air. Unless the air is restricted, when you start seeing soot, it's making Carbon monoxide (CO). Plus, there's a certain rush you get knowing a tiny mistake could blow your house up.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Where do you guys find hurricane lamps?

the only ones I ever find are either garbage or cost an arm and a leg. I would like to get 5-6 for the house. This last storm had us out of power for 8 days and we burned through way too many candles. Having a gas stove and water heater was a life saver, but adequate lighting was a pain. Another perk with those lamps is they can put off enough heat in my well sealed house that they’ll keep the bathrooms warm enough to prevent the pipes from freezing.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

the only ones I ever find are either garbage or cost an arm and a leg. I would like to get 5-6 for the house. This last storm had us out of power for 8 days and we burned through way too many candles. Having a gas stove and water heater was a life saver, but adequate lighting was a pain. Another perk with those lamps is they can put off enough heat in my well sealed house that they’ll keep the bathrooms warm enough to prevent the pipes from freezing.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Kerosene+Oil+lamp&ref=nb_sb_noss

https://www.amazon.com/Shop4Omni-Hu...ords=Kerosene+Oil+lamp&qid=1613082629&sr=8-50

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I've ran these in my bathroom. I have this exact one and about 3 of the smaller ones. Never has leaked and will run all night on a tank. And they put out quite a bit of light. The smaller ones will surprise you for their size.
https://www.lehmans.com/product/feuerhand-lantern-from-germany-silver-galvanized/
1283455.jpg
9167_13014_large.jpg

https://www.lehmans.com/product/feuerhand-galvanized-lanterns/

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have what I call a bistro stove. It runs on butane, not propane and is safer to use indoors--it's the stove they use when the cook something at your table. Walmart usually has them for about $20, with the propane bottles running about $3.00. They are rated to last about 2-2 1/2 hours.

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom