Being prepared for natural disasters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I also have this vintage perfection kerosene heater. It around 11,000 btu. And it puts out a nice light.
IMG_20210211_174043839.jpg

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have a hurricane lamp. Several months ago we bought lamp oil and wicks. Oddly, the wick burns right along with the oil. Still haven't gotten around to figuring out what is up with that. Had to buy the wicks off Amazon. Maybe that's the problem. Anybody know a retailer that would for sure sell good wicks for a hurricane lamp?
Lower the wick. Most let the wick stick up to far. It goes down and acts like it will go out, but it won’t, it will rise in flame going down to correct position. We used them for only light fir years in a cabin, i only remember putting a wick in one every few years. We keep to nice ones in our home for emergency.
Also trim off the burnt end of the wick.
:drunk2:

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The alladin lamps put out around the same light as a 60 watt bulb. But don't leave unattended. They require some periodic adjustment. They will shoot up a whole house the minute you turn your back.
IMG_20210211_174735148.jpg

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where do you guys find hurricane lamps?

the only ones I ever find are either garbage or cost an arm and a leg. I would like to get 5-6 for the house. This last storm had us out of power for 8 days and we burned through way too many candles. Having a gas stove and water heater was a life saver, but adequate lighting was a pain. Another perk with those lamps is they can put off enough heat in my well sealed house that they’ll keep the bathrooms warm enough to prevent the pipes from freezing.

You can still buy Aladdin Lamps and parts new. I bought a couple of lamps that run off kerosene 4 or 5 years ago. They not only put out good light but also a little heat.

http://aladdinlamps.com/products/

rswink

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Where do you guys find hurricane lamps?

the only ones I ever find are either garbage or cost an arm and a leg. I would like to get 5-6 for the house. This last storm had us out of power for 8 days and we burned through way too many candles. Having a gas stove and water heater was a life saver, but adequate lighting was a pain. Another perk with those lamps is they can put off enough heat in my well sealed house that they’ll keep the bathrooms warm enough to prevent the pipes from freezing.
Per my wife:
Atwood's
TSC
Wal-Mart
Target
Crest
Academy
Family Dollar
Dollar General
Big Lots
Cracker Barrel

But, she says they are not always in stock. We have a dozen or so I think. Even a pair of battery operated models hanging by the front and back door so if you come home to the power out you have light to go make light

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Cowbaby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a light that runs on propane that has a silk mantle like a lantern in my old 69 Airstream camper. I am almost done on a frame off restore I have worked on for over 2 years.
I love that thing as I don't have to worry about electricity if I want to boondock. Just switch the fridge to propane, a propane wall heater, stovetop, oven and that light and I am set.
I like it so much I found another one I plan on refurbishing and installing in the back and piping in one day, Says Humphrey Light on the side. The other is the camper project in various stage of disrepair.

Humphrey light.jpg
69 airstream.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom