Being prepared for natural disasters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have several of the glass hurricane lamps that are inherited. Two from pre Oklahoma Land Run days and another that is probably 70 years old +.
They put out nice light and heat. During the Ice storm years ago we used them for light, the fireplace for heat and a coleman cookstove to cook on.
It was quite the adventure with another family from town coming to live with us as they had no preps.
Not an unpleasant time for me or the wife as at that time we were into tent camping in primitive areas without electricity or running water. We took food from the freezer and put it outside at night to stay frozen. Never lost anything from the fridge or freezer.
Just used the tools we had already acquired. After 11 days a friend loaned us a generator as their power came back on. We ran it for a couple of days until our power came back on.
We did buy a nice electric start generator shortly afterward but have only used it twice for short periods of time.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do not forget the LED lanterns too guys. They can run a long time on a set of batteries. We have 5. One old one that I inherited from my grandfather who was into model trains. 3 $5 cheapies from Aldi that are great for getting around the house. One good one that is bright enough to read by. I picked that up on close out from Walmart one night for $5.

I do need to buy a cast iron dutch oven with legs that I can use in the fireplace.

You can also make a pretty effective little heater using tea candles and small clay flower pots. Just an example but you get the idea.

Tea candles.jpg

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If we loose power, were screwed. I have a generator but no longer physically able to haul it out and do what's needed to get it hooked up and going. We would probably have to go to a motel leaving the house and returning to busted pipes and big plumbing bills. Keeping fingers crossed...

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If we loose power, were screwed. I have a generator but no longer physically able to haul it out and do what's needed to get it hooked up and going. We would probably have to go to a motel leaving the house and returning to busted pipes and big plumbing bills. Keeping fingers crossed...
I'm willing to bet there are members near you that will help you. :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom