Being prepared for natural disasters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a light that runs on propane that has a silk mantle like a lantern in my old 69 Airstream camper. I am almost done on a frame off restore I have worked on for over 2 years.
I love that thing as I don't have to worry about electricity if I want to boondock. Just switch the fridge to propane, a propane wall heater, stovetop, oven and that light and I am set.
I like it so much I found another one I plan on refurbishing and installing in the back and piping in one day, Says Humphrey Light on the side. The other is the camper project in

I hunted out of a old overhead camper for years with those fuel lights in it! They are cool!

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i still have my kerosene and coleman lanterns but as of late only use my milwaukee m18 battery with a lantern attachment that also charges my cell phone. i can charge the battery in my truck while i do chores.

BillPenn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Plan A. - Generator, we have one big enough to run all the essentials. Since I have a gas central heat there was no problems running it when the electricity went out last winter. Plus the gas hot water heater, plus all the lights, and the TV.
Plan B. - Gas fireplace, Coleman lanterns, Ryobi flash light (keep several batteries on the charger)
Plan C. - Kerosene heater from the shop (will keep the living room warm), Coleman lanterns, and Ryobi flash lights.

Have had to use all three plans over the years. Normally will just go with plan B for short term since it takes least effort.

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
While I have Aladdin, candles, and hurricane lamps. I purchased a dozen of these and mounted them above my doors to switch on during power outages. They are changed by solar or USB and last for weeks as they are motion activated. They work great for camping as well.

Attachments

• 9D062682-8A91-43C3-B3B8-B4916506DA30.jpeg
    9D062682-8A91-43C3-B3B8-B4916506DA30.jpeg
    53.7 KB · Views: 41

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In my view, you should have a battery-powered lantern at home. Then you don't have to worry about the generator or spend the night in a motel if the power goes out. This often happens at home, and we already know how to escape from this situation. Led flashlights are real salvation, and they take up very little space. Such a lantern is also called a camping lantern. My wife does not like hiking and spending the night in a tent, so we use our lamps only at home. I bought the batteries several times, so I'm not worried about anything. There will always be light. The brightness is enough to illuminate the whole room.
Lighting isn't the big problem if it's winter we would have no heat without the furnace, it's propane but still needs electric to operate. The generator will run it just would need to keep it running.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a medical kit for emergencies for my family as well as others who may be in trouble. Hurricane lamps, Coleman lantern and stove. Three generators in the garage that will work on natural gas, propane or gasoline. And I since I use a CPAP, I converted an old pressure cooker to create distilled water-just in case. MRE"s several buckets of dehydrated foods, and 10 gallons of gasoline mixed with Stabil which I'll still use and refill periodically. Solar powered/charged flashlights (Torch) also.
I do use unleaded gas in the Coleman units though and haven't had any problems so far. When I was a kid I'd have to go to the store and buy Kerosene for the home lighting in a glass Purex gallon bottle for 18 cents per gallon. Which reminds me, I've got to get some more fuel for the lamps. We just don't know what's coming in the months ahead.

radarmonkey

Let's go Brandon
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a medical kit for emergencies for my family as well as others who may be in trouble. Hurricane lamps, Coleman lantern and stove. Three generators in the garage that will work on natural gas, propane or gasoline. And I since I use a CPAP, I converted an old pressure cooker to create distilled water-just in case. MRE"s several buckets of dehydrated foods, and 10 gallons of gasoline mixed with Stabil which I'll still use and refill periodically. Solar powered/charged flashlights (Torch) also.
I do use unleaded gas in the Coleman units though and haven't had any problems so far. When I was a kid I'd have to go to the store and buy Kerosene for the home lighting in a glass Purex gallon bottle for 18 cents per gallon. Which reminds me, I've got to get some more fuel for the lamps. We just don't know what's coming in the months ahead.
Holler at me if you find kerosene in bulk please. I'm in Edmond and haven't found any.

radarmonkey

Let's go Brandon
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
*find any bulk kerosene

Latest posts

Top Bottom