Being prepared for natural disasters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good thread here with good ideas.
I think it depends on how long you expect to be without public utilities. During the ice storm in Tulsa, was it in 2008? We were without power for six days. Ran the gas fireplace which made enough heat to keep the house around 60 and pipes from freezing. My little generator provided power for most small appliances and lights.

They water rationed us as there was not enough power to run the pumps to refill the water towers until they brought in the industrial generators. I had 20-30 gallons of gas stored for the generator (gas stations had no power) with stabilizer, and a way to purify water if things did not improve. We used all my gear from backpacking years to cook, and generally make things more comfortable.
December 2007 ice storm.

ForsakenConservative

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
CCE01C09-211E-4A2A-9F57-BC10C5C75D8D.jpeg

Dad’s old Coleman lanterns after a tune-up. In February, I positioned them outside at windows so I didn’t worry about CO (Our house is pretty tight). I fabbed reflectors from 3/4 plywood and aluminum foil, worked great!

Latest posts

Top Bottom