Benchtop priming tool

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Doesn’t the Lyman or Hornady use regular shell holders and not the special ones like the Lee uses?
I still hand prime with the lee at the coffee table. Waiting for it to take a dirt nap but I’ve got parts to keep a couple going.

Yeah, they do. I think the RCBS does, too. I guess @Oklahomabassin or @Okie4570 can tell us.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The tool in my original post will work with Lee or Rcbs press type shellholders. I know my Lee handheld used the shellholders without the "flange" on the bottom.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used these two with my Lyman T-Mag for many years. It primed on the upstroke as mentioned earlier. I would prime after sizing the brass.

4d78d415cf4d3b9cf415935aac35bbc1.jpg

3ae1ca411c84ee6848e12fd24d6d3c67.jpg

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll have to check. I have mostly Lee, and had to buy some RCBS. I thought I had some Hornady that I tried, but can't remember for sure. Or maybe they changed it? I'll update once I dig it out and check.

Lonewatie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lets get back to the real topic.

bench primers....

Three choices but only 2 real options.

Lee
Rcbs
Forster

Rcbs-- primers are fed like normal pickup tubes, feeder rocks back and forth, primer is dropped, insert a case and push on the lever. Primer is inserted, case is removed, rinse and repeat. Con-- if you could call it that, is having to have a set (or just the needed ones) of shell holders, which really isnt an issue because any reloader should have a set already and a single stage press mounted.

Forster-- no need for individual shellholders but you have to spend time to adjust the 3 plates that retain the case. Insert the "tube" which holds primers on the horizontal so must be loaded differently than the standard tubes, pull the pin, primer feeds, insert case pull handle, remove case, rinse and repeat.
Con-- the damn thing is horizontal.

Lee-- its 3/4 freakin plastic and their newer primer setups suck balls.

Now, most good single stage presses have decent priming systems, rcbs, redding, and lyman, hornady all 4 work nicely. So, if we could give anyone who is just starting out some advice, its to add the "bench prime money" to what they are spending on a press and grab one with a good priming system. The lyman victory press can be had for less than $150 and it is a solid press, very well made and easy to operate.

Sent from my WIENER using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom