Beretta 1301 Tactical or a Benelli M4 or a Benelli M2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which Shotgun Should I Choose?

• Benelli M4/1014 For $1799.00

Votes: 10 37.0%
  • Beretta 1301 Tactical For $1159.00

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • Benelli M2 For $1099.00 (Display Model)

Votes: 6 22.2%

• Total voters

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Versa max is a good gun for light use. If you start running one hard, you will need to change the cam pin over to the Benelli M1/M2 cam pin, change out the hammer to the Benelli hammer, as well as the extractor and spring, also you will need to change out the shell cut off lever roll pin to a multi roll pin, instead of the single roll pin.
As to which one to get all I can tell you is that Benellis in general don't break. My original M1 went over 350,000 rounds, all I ever changed besides a few springs was a barrel extension and a bolt carrier.

h4everything

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The M4 kicks really bad. I got a smoking deal on one and sold it after shooting a box of bird shot through it. I would recommend the versamax as well. I have 2 of them and they have become my favorites over the benellis. The beretta's shoot better than Benellis. but for my money It's the ole versamax. But who knows after the remington bankruptcy

Gunblaster

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am currently debating on upgrading my home-defense shotgun to either a Beretta 1301 Tactical, a Benelli M4/104, or a Benelli M2.

All are quality guns and have a fairly proven track record. In a perfect world where I am a rich person I would probably go with the Benelli M4 and be done with it, but this is not that world. The Beretta 1301 Tactical Gen II has been getting high marks from the reviews that I have read, but the M2 has been a wish-list gun for me since I was in high school back when it was called the "Super 90."

So I am torn as to which shotgun to get, and this is something that I have been struggling with for a few weeks now, and I want to act before they are sold out. So if you have any idea on which way I should go or if you have any hands-on experience, please feel free to share and comment below and vote on the poll!

I would definitely get the Benelli M4, I've owned the M1 and the M2 and had jamming issues with these models because of lighter load shells. My M4 will eat anything you feed it. it has never jammed and shoots very smooth. My opinion it's the very best shotgun money can buy.

Jestik

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What all needs to be done to the M1014 to make it ready to go? I notice that the stock is "fixed" as opposed to collapsible? And what is the deal with the magazine tube?

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What all needs to be done to the M1014 to make it ready to go? I notice that the stock is "fixed" as opposed to collapsible? And what is the deal with the magazine tube?
You don't need anything for it to be ready to go.
If you want more magazine capacity go to freedom fighter tactical and take a look at the short video for explanation on adding new/different parts. It explains it very well.

Last edited:

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is the stock not collapsible from the get-go?
I don't know for sure. Two friends in Kansas had M-1014s and one of them was collapsible and one wasn't. I bought the one that wasn't. I had to change out the tube in the stock that threads into the receiver. It had a nut locking it in place that I had to heat with a torch to break free the red Locktite they used on it. I had to be very careful to not damage the finish. I got it done. It now collapses and it has the one piece 7 rd. mag tube. I had to change so many parts out to make it 922g complaint, stupid law. The M1014 was the first gas shotgun Benelli made and it shoots pretty soft for a 12 ga.. When these came out Benelli said there would only be 2000 sold to the public. I don't know if they stuck with that number or not.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom