Best 380 Ammo for home defense

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davs2601

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I alternate from the Hornady Critical defense and ball ammo, Just incase I dont get good penetration with the first shot ill punch through with the ball ammo

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The new hornady SD HP load has achieved 10" penetration in Ballistic Gel.

IIRC FBI minimum is 12" through four layers of clothing.

The gelatin block is covered with four layers of clothing: one layer of cotton T-shirt material ( 48 threads per inch) ; one layer of cotton shirt material (80 threads per inch); a 10 ounce down comforter in a cambric shell cover (232 threads per inch); and one layer of 13 ounces cotton denim (50 threads per inch).

Glockwork1987

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i would get something larger imo.... for HOME defense.. shotgun, or even a stupid wheel gun in .44 mag or something. get something larger and make your .380 a SELF defense gun. thats the best i could tell you. i had a lcp, and had several differant ammo's fail me. so i got rid of it and moved up to the .40. needless to say i love it..

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
i would get something larger imo.... for HOME defense.. shotgun, or even a stupid wheel gun in .44 mag or something. get something larger and make your .380 a SELF defense gun. thats the best i could tell you. i had a lcp, and had several differant ammo's fail me. so i got rid of it and moved up to the .40. needless to say i love it..

"stupid wheel gun"

Man I like guys like this, they are the one's who walk right by a S&W 66 with a 3"bbl!!!!!!

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Let me clarify, i have a 45 for home defense, the 380 I bought will be my carry gun once the license gets in.

So, it's not a question of home defense, where concealment means nothing and it's best to keep the largest caliber or most effective firearm appropriate for the envionment (a bolt gun in 340 Weatherby would be a bad choice for an apartment).

It IS a question of the best choice of ammo for probably the most concealable yet practical handgun any of us can carry, such as the Kel Tec P3AT, Ruger LCP, etc... Smaller than a J frame revolver and capable of fitting into a wallet sized/ shaped pocket holster, the little 380s are truely "the gun you carry when you can't carry a gun". Like summertime in shorts/ t shirt.

In my perfect imaginary world, I'd like a FMJ profile, yet expanding 95gr bullet that makes 1000FPS out of the short P3AT barrel. Haven't found or loaded them yet, but honestly I haven't looked at the commercial offerings in the last year? For now, I'm staying with my GD 95gr JHPs. They function well.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree on FMJ, and like the Fiocchi 95 grain a lot. It is hotter than most too. It is critical that you get 100% reliability out of the .380 for defense and FMJ is probably your best bet out of that short barrel. My two cents after several thousand .380 rounds fired of all brands...

Glockwork1987

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"stupid wheel gun"

Man I like guys like this, they are the one's who walk right by a S&W 66 with a 3"bbl!!!!!!

yea you might have the ALLMIGHTY .357, but you only have 6 shots... lol.. now in a self defense situation 6 shots might work... but when you are in a fire fight i would really hate to have to reload 6 after 6 after 6. when in all reality isnt this why the invented the semi-auto? at the push of a button and wham.. 13 more shots...just my opinion...:giveup:

FenixTxM3

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This thread is kinda getting off topic. I'm not asking which is the best caliber gun for self defense. I'm just wanting to know who makes the best all around self defense round for a 380.

Latest posts

Top Bottom