Best AK on the Market?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
NICE!

One of my biggest regrets ... Back in the early 80's (?) I had a chance (like everyone) to get one. Instead of the Valmet I ended up buying a handful of HK 91's and 93's. Second biggest regret was selling all the HK 91's and 93's.
Getting rid of a few HK 91 and 93's is something to regret. Kinda like getting rid of four HK P7s. On Ak's, I'd look for a Valmet too.

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Getting rid of a few HK 91 and 93's is something to regret. Kinda like getting rid of four HK P7s. On Ak's, I'd look for a Valmet too.

Yeah ... had an original P7 too. Of all the guns I have sold, I really don't regret that one so much. Never really liked it.

Guns I wish I still had ...

German Walther PPK/S
Marlin 1894 (before the cross-bolt safety)
And ... an open bolt Mac11. It was such a piece of crap gun BUT I could sell that one for a little more than the $180 I sold for one week after I bought it.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had an HK93 for awhile and sold it. Parts were getting hard to find and insanely expensive. Great shooting rifle.

I bought one of the Century "contract AK's". These are supposed to be WASR rifles that were built by Century and sent to the sandbox for use by contractors. Then by some govermental miracle they were brought back to the US for resale. (Semi-auto of course) There's hardly any finish on it, beat up and when I stripped it down, it had red grainy sand all through it. It has a chrome lined barrel which I thought was strange. It's been a reliable shooter so far. I've just been playing with it, but I'm getting ready to try some serious shooting to see what it's capable of.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am looking at the C39v2 as well. It has shown to be an excellent version of the design.

It would pain me to refer to a C39v2 as excellent. No excuse for having cast bolt and bolt carrier on a $849 MSRP gun. I'm not sure what they were thinking on the proprietary side rail either. At least the rifle looks to be miles ahead of Century's RAS-47. Before you drop any money on one, please do a quick search on a forum such as AK Files and it may change your mind.

If I was in the market for the best bang for your buck 7.62x39 rifle I would likely narrow my options down to the Arsenal 107-11 or a PSAK blem barrelled receiver kit. I believe that the PSA rifle was the only US manufacturered AK to make it past 1666 rounds (5000 and counting) without a major or catastrophic failure in AKOU's torture tests and can be assembled for less than $500.

I have not owned one, but many people seem to agree that the VEPR rifles have the best fit, finish, and build quality of all the AK's that are currently availabile. That being said, I still went with an Arsenal SLR 104-31 / 104FR as it had all the options that I was looking for and it is as close as you can get these days to a Russian AK 74 platform rifle.

Last edited:

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After seeing recent reports on the PSAK barreled receivers that are now being shipped, disregard everything that I previously said about their rifles. It's pretty apparent that the current rifles being delivered are hardly the same quality as the rifle provided to AKOU. Cast bolt carriers rather than forged, roll pins in lieu of rivets, out of spec gas blocks, double cut handguard retainer slots etc. Just another shoddy example of an American built AK.

Latest posts

Top Bottom