Best AK on the Market?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I am considering getting an arsenal. There is one on Atlantic firearms that is chambered in 5.56 NATO. Only problem I see is the magazines are about $50 a piece! I will be using this rifle for home defense and a shtf rifle. Would this be a good choice or should I get either a 7.62 or 5.45 arsenal?
I see you're selling the Saint. Why did you decide to go the AK route?

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I get an arsenal side folder can I replace the stock with say a magpul zhukov?

No, you will be limited to using a 4.5mm stock with that particular trunnion. There's honestly no point in purchasing an SLR series rifle if you're planning to replace the buttstock with a commercial product. Either use the AK 100 series style polymer sidefolder that comes on the rifle, replace it with a Russian or Bulgy AKS triangle stock, or purchase one of the models with a fixed stock trunnion.

Another piece of advice, if you are purchasing an AK platform rifle, stick with the standard AK calibers of 7.62 or 5.45. I've heard of way too many issues with the SLR 106 rifles (5.56) to ever drop that kind of cash on one.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No, you will be limited to using a 4.5mm stock with that particular trunnion. There's honestly no point in purchasing an SLR series rifle if you're planning to replace the buttstock with a commercial product. Either use the AK 100 series style polymer sidefolder that comes on the rifle, replace it with a Russian or Bulgy AKS triangle stock, or purchase one of the models with a fixed stock trunnion.

Another piece of advice, if you are purchasing an AK platform rifle, stick with the standard AK calibers of 7.62 or 5.45. I've heard of way too many issues with the SLR 106 rifles (5.56) to ever drop that kind of cash on one.
Thanks for the advice. I don't understand why arsenal makes so many of their rifles side folders anyway. I was gonna get the 5.56 model and have definitive arms do the magwell conversion but they emailed me back and said they aren't doing them on the arsenal rifles. Told me to get either a saiga or vepr. But I will take your advice and stick to the more common calibers. I would love to have an 5.45 but the ammo availability is my Issue. I want to be able to use this as a HD and survival rifle. Hard to do if here isn't any ammo around. At least 7.62 is all over the place. Even federal and Hornady makes it.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I don't understand why arsenal makes so many of their rifles side folders anyway. I was gonna get the 5.56 model and have definitive arms do the magwell conversion but they emailed me back and said they aren't doing them on the arsenal rifles. Told me to get either a saiga or vepr. But I will take your advice and stick to the more common calibers. I would love to have an 5.45 but the ammo availability is my Issue. I want to be able to use this as a HD and survival rifle. Hard to do if here isn't any ammo around. At least 7.62 is all over the place. Even federal and Hornady makes it.

In all honesty 5.45 ammo is not at all hard to come by. I have purchased or traded for 3 spam cans of 7N6 and purchased another 900 rounds of Uly for $0.15 - $0.16 per round within the last few months.

Monarch is easy to come by locally at Academy and Hornady offers ammo in 5.45 as well. Ignore all the talk of 5.45 being a dead caliber. The only difference between it and 7.62 is that there are a few more American manufacturers that produce 7.62 at an much higher cost. If cheap import ammo is blocked it's likely that you won't be shooting 7.62 either due to the price of American produced ammo. IMHO, get a 5.45 rifle and stock pile spam cans of 7N6 while it's still fairly plentiful and cheap. :)

Last edited:

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In all honesty 5.45 ammo is not at all hard to come by. I have purchased or traded for 3 spam cans of 7N6 and purchased another 900 rounds of Uly for $0.15 - $0.16 per round within the last few months.

Monarch is easy to come by locally at Academy and Hornady offers ammo in 5.45 as well. Ignore all the talk of 5.45 being a dead caliber. The only difference between it and 7.62 is that there are a few more American manufacturers that produce 7.62 at an much higher cost. If cheap import ammo is blocked it's likely that you won't be shooting 7.62 either due to the price of American produced ammo. IMHO, get a 5.45 rifle and stock pile spam cans of 7N6 while it's still fairly plentiful and cheap. :)
I would love to get a 5.45 but I can't find one. They are all sold out. And when I do it's a crappy waffen werks that sooner state pawn has. I called and asked if it was with a nodak spud receiver and they said no it was a waffen werks one. I would have bought it had it been the nodak. Another thing I like about the 74 is magpul makes pmags for it now. I think it would be a great survival gun. And the wounding capability of the round is very good.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would love to get a 5.45 but I can't find one. They are all sold out. And when I do it's a crappy waffen werks that sooner state pawn has. I called and asked if it was with a nodak spud receiver and they said no it was a waffen werks one. I would have bought it had it been the nodak. Another thing I like about the 74 is magpul makes pmags for it now. I think it would be a great survival gun. And the wounding capability of the round is very good.

Your best best is to sign up on AK Files and keep an eye out on the marketplace listings. Chances are that you'll not only find a nice AK 74, but the prices will be much better than you'll find at any local gun shop. Just to clarify, if you do end up picking up an SLR platform, you can put other stocks on it than just the two 4.5mm stocks that I mentioned in the previous post...you will just be required to purchase an adapter that accomodates AR style collapsible stocks that would normally attach to a buffer tube. You'd have an adjustable, side folding stock that way, but there will be no ability to lock the stock when folded like the 100 series polymer stock and AKS series triangle stock which hook to a latch on the forward left side of the receiver.

Last edited:

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
7N6 isn't what your going to get from wolf or tula, etc. The all lead core wont wound as well as 7n6. Its not bad, its just not as good as 7n6. It also wont tumble near as much as 7n6 (which is where the real wounding comes from)

If that doesn't matter to you then 5.45 is just as cheap as 7.62x39

Latest posts

Top Bottom