Best Ammo for 5.56, or At Least, Ammo to Avoid

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's not the space for the press. It's the peripherals, the accouterments (or, in Okie-speak "uh-COOTER-mints").

Ya can't have just a press, no matter how small. There's dies, powder, projectiles, measuring apparatus, scale, etc etc etc.

We used to have a travel trailer. Even for 2 week trips, it gets small in there in a hurry.

Yeppers on the space. Now, figure a couple having a 38 1/2-foot fifth wheel, into which ALL of their belongings fit. None of this "use of an RV for a two-week vacation." We literally live full time in our RV.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I did a search on this topic, but most of the threads I saw were at least 4 years old.

Wife and I are just getting into the 5.56 world, and I would like to know what are reliable brands of ammo for the AR. And specifically, I'd like to know what brands to avoid.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to know what powders being used would cause fouling and such, so that is why I am asking about specific brands.

Thanks in advance.

All of them. Get an AK. :P

Legend

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I hear a lot of different stuff but as for my experience for practice I shoot a ton of cheap import steel cased crap through my ARs. I figure I save enough I can afford to buy a new barrel if I ever have any problems that people suggest. I've shot probably 8K or more through one rifle and have saved hundreds of dollars. Worse case parts are cheap and easy to replace.
Some people like just owning a rifle and never really shooting it. You know, taking pictures with it and posting them online. Cleaning and polishing it over and over without shooting it. Or maybe running a box of ammo through it every 3 or 4 month maybe. So if you really just want one for occasional plinking then yeah buy the pricey ammo and sleep better.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Follow up question that is related to 5.56.

Most of my cleaning supplies are getting pretty old, so I need to restock, and I also need a bore snake for the 5.56. While the youngest son and I were in Academy getting ammo for his handgun, I saw a "kit" for 5.56 that included the brush for the barrel and a bigger brush, apparently for use in cleaning the chamber of the barrel.

How important is it to use a separate brush on the chamber? I'm inclined to think it might be important if I should get some sub-standard ammo that blows back (or something) to the chamber.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Follow up question that is related to 5.56.

Most of my cleaning supplies are getting pretty old, so I need to restock, and I also need a bore snake for the 5.56. While the youngest son and I were in Academy getting ammo for his handgun, I saw a "kit" for 5.56 that included the brush for the barrel and a bigger brush, apparently for use in cleaning the chamber of the barrel.

How important is it to use a separate brush on the chamber? I'm inclined to think it might be important if I should get some sub-standard ammo that blows back (or something) to the chamber.

I’ve got some of those chamber brushes. It cleans your chamber and the area in front of the locking lugs. Well worth having because a dirty sticky chamber will happen after a lot of rounds. I keep a special short cleaning rod and chuck it up in a drill. Spin it forward and reverse a few times then swab it out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom