Best BBQ place around OKC is...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twocan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Vans BBQ in Norman, last time we got to go ribs, the ribs were overcooked. Didn't taste smoked.
Rays BBQ is alright.
Dickeys is OK
Swadleys OK
GFF Foods overcooked ribs
I just miss ole fashioned smoked bbq!!! Wanna try Butchers.

Very good food from Butchers but not a lot of smoke. For ribs I sure like Smokey pokey off I35 & hwy 51. They have a good dry, tough & smokey rib.

Last edited:

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
BBQ is right there with Politics and Religion for passionate opinions!

For me, I prefer to judge a BBQ place by how they cook the Meat Trinity; Beef Brisket, Pork Ribs & Chicken. Those are standard meats in most BBQ events. Chicken cooks best at a different temp than Brisket & Ribs, so not all places have Chicken.

I've cooked my own BBQ for so long, its difficult for me pay restaurant prices any longer. Although I used to get the Chopped Brisket sandwich at Van's Pig Stand on a frequent basis when I worked at the University of Oklahoma

But I have been meaning to take a drive to Wellston and try Butcher's. I just need to be prepared with an alternate if they are out of BBQ ...

Last edited:

CharlieWH2O

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Texlahoma on Waterloo in Edmond. Best BBQ in the damn state, don't care what anybody says I haven't had better.

The okra and slaw is damn good too.

Go check it out, owner is a cool dude, but get there early it's so good they run out.

Read this and was out that way lunchtime so I gave it try. I had the sliced brisket sandwich with fries and I can only tell you it is as good a BBQ as anyplace I have been and that covers most all southern states. The brisket was smoked through, great ring and bark. I almost couldn't eat it all. I met the owner and learned a bit about him (another good Texan). Next time back I will try the ribs and I highly recommend it.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I'm kinda partial to George's Happy Hog on Culberson, just to the NE of the VA complex. Nothin' fancy though.

For an upscale experience, I like Iron Starr on NE 36th.

NW 36th and Shartel, drive by it every day. Something about upscale BBQ sounds wrong LOL!!@

Latest posts

Top Bottom