Best brand for Cordless Drill (Replacing old Sears)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I forgot to mention and one of the above posts reminded me but the Dewalt 20V drill-the same battery powers the weed eater and power blower that I blow out all the sawdust, wood chips and leaves from my garage.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a bunch of Ryobi +1 tools. They're affordable and work. Having a ton of tools take one battery is a plus.

I've also got some of the Dewalt brushless stuff. Noticeably lighter than the Ryobi, works the same. Probably a better tool.

Nothing can beat Makita's LXT line. Great tools, pretty pricey, worth every penny. The best thing about Makita is they are made by Makita. They're not just pieces together with parts from 18 different manufacturers. Makita owns Makita.
Ryobi is a decent tool. I wont use their drill bits or driver bits for anything other than light duty though

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Only gripe I have about Ridgid is even though they keep up with competitors on making tools smaller, They still remain heavy as f**k

Ridgid 18v batteries are still on the larger and heavier side too

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have one of those! Mine is about a 50's vintage. Grandpa was a carpenter. Some of the bits are 12" long.
Back to the OP, I also have a Sears 19.something that they no longer make the original batteries for. There is a replacement battery that is lithium Ion for a replacement but it's $100 or so.
It looks like I'm going to go that way because I bought the kit from Sears that has the battery operated circular saw, Jig Saw, Drill, Vacuum cleaner and work light.
That kit was been really handy because there is no electricity at the farm, so it's either load up a generator and the big tools, or the battery kit for small jobs.
I have the 20V Dewalt impact screwdriver, and a 24 volt Kobalt 1/2" impact gun. Both can be converted to drills with accessory drill chucks available on Amazon for not much money. Some cannot be ran CC so shop wisely.

https://www.amazon.com/Yakamoz-0-8-10mm-Screwdriver-Converter-Conversion/dp/B07GB6DRVT/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3E8OPNXO7NCZF&keywords=drill+chuck+for+impact+driver&qid=1583805941&sprefix=drill+chucks+for+,aps,192&sr=8-5

https://www.amazon.com/Professional-Keyless-Converter-Adapter-SDS-Plus/dp/B07ZY43CDB/ref=sr_1_13?crid=3E8OPNXO7NCZF&keywords=drill+chuck+for+impact+driver&qid=1583806005&sprefix=drill+chucks+for+,aps,192&sr=8-13

Last edited:

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have the Ryobi one and love it. They often have sales where you can get a drill, driver, and something else (mine was a circular saw) for around 150. Includes two batteries and a charger with a bag for the drill and driver. Mine will bury a 6 inch screw in a tree.

The thing I really like is they have a ton of other tools too. Maybe you will not use them all but if you decide you need a pole saw to cut a few branches from time to time and don't want to buy a gas one, they have it. I ended up getting an orbital sander for mine as well when I started doing some projects. I picked up a pair of the bigger batteries for 50 bucks brand new a few years back and with those I think the tools will work you to death. One to charge and the other to work with and it's hard to kill them unless you are running the sander and even then by the time two big batteries are done you don't want to run it any more anyway. And you can get batteries or tools at any home depot so if you are going to help someone else with a project and need something else you can probably find a place to get whatever you need.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I forgot to mention and one of the above posts reminded me but the Dewalt 20V drill-the same battery powers the weed eater and power blower that I blow out all the sawdust, wood chips and leaves from my garage.
There is more than 200 Dewalt tools than run off the 20V battery system. The small 2 Ah battery is light and works great for most routine uses. I've got a couple of the 5 Ah batteries for heavy duty work.

Latest posts

Top Bottom