Best brand for Cordless Drill (Replacing old Sears)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ryobi is a decent tool. I wont use their drill bits or driver bits for anything other than light duty though

That ain't no joke. Their accessories are garbage. I like Milwaukee's driver bits and countersink. Good performers. I've had great success with Irwin's M-42 cobalt bits. They still dull, but they sharpen without losing hardness.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is more than 200 Dewalt tools than run off the 20V battery system. The small 2 Ah battery is light and works great for most routine uses. I've got a couple of the 5 Ah batteries for heavy duty work.

I bought some Amazon no-name 6ah batteries last year. They've held up great for a quarter of the price.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
Check some of the YouTube videos on cheap knockoff batts. They don't have the same thermal protection quality circuitry as real name brand tool batts. It's rare but you could damage a tool or set a tool, batt or charger on fire. Also those things are using cheap Chinese cells vs Japanese cells. So they won't last near as long as quality batts.

zipty6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been using Ryobi for years. I started with the 12v blue tools that came with the NiCad batteries. The nice thing is that the blue tools will use the 18 volt lithium batteries from the green tools.

The 18v impact wrench is great for lug nuts. I've also used it for hub nuts on an F-150, an Avlanche, and an El Dorado - all with ease.

I know the Ryobi stuff isn't "top of the line" but it's done everything that I've asked of it.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Check some of the YouTube videos on cheap knockoff batts. They don't have the same thermal protection quality circuitry as real name brand tool batts. It's rare but you could damage a tool or set a tool, batt or charger on fire. Also those things are using cheap Chinese cells vs Japanese cells. So they won't last near as long as quality batts.

I buy the stuff AvE recommends. He gives no-bs in depth reviews on tools and junk. Not like the normal dudes that pull something out of the box and day "Seems well built" but seriously in depth tear downs. Most knockoff batteries are junk, but there are exceptions. AvE is good people.

Last edited:

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Then again could get the drill and driver with two batteries for 94. https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-1...-Ah-Batteries-Charger-and-Bag-P1832/207092155

Or spend a couple bucks more and get a drill and a saw with a couple batteries for 129. https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-1...n-Compact-Battery-2-Pack-P1816-P161/312605496

The kit I bought wasn't much more and came with the impact driver as well and that was a couple years ago, in fact I would say 8 or 9 years ago and the same batteries are in use and available. A lot of the others have changed the batteries over the years the one+ system stays the same just the batteries have gotten a little smaller for the same amount of power. The same kit I got is 279 right now, but it will go on sale at some point for almost half that. Just have to catch it at the right time.

Or go full derp and get a big set for about 260 https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-1...teries-and-18-Volt-Charger-P1990SBN/310710637

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
63DEBB39-C54A-40D7-8E60-BC9569CFA600.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom