Best food for long term storage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FWIW, any grains not frozen are prone to weevils. Weevils don't "get into" the grain while stored, their tiny eggs are harvested along with it and simply hatch. That's why they can appear in sealed packages.
:drunk2:

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pretty much any canned food, whether meat, vegetables, fruits, sauces, etc, will be good for at least 2 years and longer.

When you buy canned goods, be darn sure to look over each and every can and make sure none have any dent whatsoever in the metal. I was told dents could damage the inner lining and cause spoilage. Same with transporting them home and to storage, be gentle and don't bang things around.

The LDS Mormons have a food pantry/food storage just south of Will Rogers Airport. The North side of the building has been open to any and all for purchase of their long term food storage. Don't even think about trying to get into the south half of the building, that's for their members only.

A little over a year ago they either closed or restricted the half anyone can use, I was told it was because they had sold out of stuff nation wide and none was forthcoming for a year.

www.providentliving.org and click the Home Storage Centers link, then Find Prices and a Store Near You.

Does anyone know if that has been reopened? Whenever I call to inquire it just rings off the wall, no answer.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When you buy canned goods, be darn sure to look over each and every can and make sure none have any dent whatsoever in the metal. I was told dents could damage the inner lining and cause spoilage. Same with transporting them home and to storage, be gentle and don't bang things around.
Canned foods are sealed in a vacuum. Dents reduce that vacuum, allowing early spoilage.

If dented on/near the ends, it's also possible the crimped seal of the can can be damaged.

Good advice in any case - avoid dents. :thumb:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Vacuum sealed items like fish, meat, etc can last for years without any issues.
A sealing machine would be on top of my list if looking for long term storage.
Wait! I have one.
Meat prices like chicken and pork are almost doubled with this inflation and worker shortage.
We spent several hours today vacuum sealing family packs of pork and chicken into daily portions.
Our other protein is 95% deer or elk. We buy some occasional ribeyes for me or fillet for the wife.
IMG_2655.jpg

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Remember don't buy any food no matter how long it is good far if you don'/won't eat it now. I don't eat beans and rice now, why should I store a 5 gallon bucket of it? Store what you eat, eat what you store. I use my Thrive freeze dried food all the time. No added salt, if the can says peas then that is the only thing in the can. Canned veggies at the store always have added sodium to include the ones that say "Low" sodium.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just want to point out that cans are still lined with BPA in the US.

DO NOT store cans for long term storage. Make sure you rotate your stock
Remember don't buy any food no matter how long it is good far if you don'/won't eat it now. I don't eat beans and rice now, why should I store a 5 gallon bucket of it? Store what you eat, eat what you store. I use my Thrive freeze dried food all the time. No added salt, if the can says peas then that is the only thing in the can. Canned veggies at the store always have added sodium to include the ones that say "Low" sodium.
Rice is a good filler to stretch your stock if your stock starts to get strethed out. Have a back up plan

As for beans, they gradually harden of time. After about 7 years, they are so hard that all you can do is grind them up for refried beans So I dont store those either.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rice and beans , Valentino Hot Sauce, and Mexican beer works best for long term strange just purty darn good, IMHO.

Latest posts

Top Bottom