Best food for long term storage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The best food is learn to grow your own and grow what you will eat. rotate stock and rotate crops. plant to harvest a couple years worth and grow something different the following year. I absolutely hate store bought canned meat especially spam. I don't care what you do to it , it isn't fit to eat unless it is to keep from starving to death. Learn how to can your own and add spices that you like. Stop depending on someone else to produce your food.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just want to point out that cans are still lined with BPA in the US.

DO NOT store cans for long term storage. Make sure you rotate your stock

Rice is a good filler to stretch your stock if your stock starts to get strethed out. Have a back up plan

As for beans, they gradually harden of time. After about 7 years, they are so hard that all you can do is grind them up for refried beans So I dont store those either.

Baking soda will soften up those beans. It only takes a little -- I mean like a SCANT 1/4 tsp for a whole pot of beans. And don't salt it until the beans are fully cooked and on the table.

JR777

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Honey has an extremely long shelf life. Like thousands of years if stored right. Pemmican (real pemmican) also has an extremely long shelf life. Decades in some cases. Then your rice and beans have pretty long shelf lives, like seven years normally.

Latest posts

Top Bottom