Best for IDPA?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amadera

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shot SASS for five years but had to quit due to time constraints. I'm wanting to try IDPA. I own two guns I could use to see if I like it. S&W model 19 2 1/2" or Colt combat commander in .45. Shoot both equally well. Which would you choose and why?

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Colt for starters. It's a lot easier to adequately finish the various courses of fire with the auto. Shooting a revolver in IDPA can be very rewarding, but requires significantly more time and precision to do well.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In this case, either one will do. The Mod 19 has good sights, however the 2.5" barrel will provided limited sight radius for the occasional shot at 25-35 yards. It will do fine at the much more common closer ones. The Commander may have the stock GI-style sights which will make distant shots tougher than if it has nicer fixed or adjustable target sights. Additionally, if it has the stock thumb safety and that safety doesn't fit you, you may find that a hindrance.

As far as cost to shoot, .38 Specials in the Mod 19 will be less costly. Additionally the recoil quotient will be less over the 100 rds so rounds in a typical match held around these parts.

I'd grab either one and go shoot.

NINEROUND

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like me some S&W wheelguns, but I'd probably go with the Colt for the first time to see if you like it. Man, tough shoice though, since you did the SASS thing. Revolver might be your best bet in that case. Either way, let us know which one you use and how you did.