1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Best grass for your lawn?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RustedBeef, Mar 14, 2019.

1. RustedBeef

RustedBeef Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I'm getting close to being a home owner, just waiting in the inspection, contract and final closing. The front yard of the house I'm buying doesn't have grass and my realtor says it's because of the trees hogging all the nutrients, plus the shade. I think he said it's Bermuda grass.

May have to chop down one of the trees down because the foundation inspector said it's too close, though the foundation has been piered and foam lifted. Any ideas for grass?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

2. lasher

lasher Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    fescue grows well in shade, and stays green year round

3. SlugSlinger

SlugSlinger Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Bermuda does not like shade. If it were me, and I had a underground sprinkler, I would go with Zoysia grass. This grass is truly like carpet and it handles shade much better than Bermuda.
    upload_2019-3-14_12-29-22.png

Or you could go with Fescue, but its not heat tolerant and annual reseeding is a must.

TonyKane1 likes this.
  4. druryj

druryj Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    My front yard is heavily shaded by a big oak tree, my lawn is fescue, I fertilize 3-4 times a year and keep it watered and it does great.

Bermuda doesn’t like shade, so fescue is a good choice imo. Kentucky 31 is a good seed. Not sure where or if you can get it in sod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. tRidiot

tRidiot Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Fescue will not do well with lots of sunlight or heat, although it does stay green year-round. In a year or two it will clump up and just be big old clumps of grass and look like crap, for the most part. This is where annual reseeding comes in, especially with manual aerating, too. It is a big pain (in my opinion) to keep fescue looking good for years.

Our yard was terrible, had trouble having anything consistent grass-wise - until we cut down trees. Opening it up to sunlight and spending a couple of years letting Bermuda put out runners was a good idea. We still have some areas that need a bit of work, but this is what has worked for us.

TonyKane1 likes this.
  6. Lakenut

Lakenut Sharpshooter

Fescue if its in deep shade. Plan on overseeding it every fall and watering more in the heat. Zoysia can grow in full sunlight or part shade (im wanting to say it can grow with 75% of the light it takes for bermuda)and is amazingly soft. It also grows slower than Bermuda thus you can get a few extra days between mowings.

I have a big yard and have all 3. If I were to start from scratch, the Bermuda would be replaced with zoysia.

Cards81fan likes this.
  7. Lakenut

Lakenut Sharpshooter

Btw....if you do fescue....go with sod this time of year. You can seed in the spring, but it wont establish strong enough to make it through the summer.

Also be sure to go with a "turf-type" fescue such as Black Beauty, Rebel, or Crossfire. Stay away from K-31....this is where the "clumpy" comes from.

badrinker, Cards81fan and RustedBeef like this.
  8. Duncandl

Duncandl Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    U3 is the way to go!

9. stick4

stick4 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    We put in Tifway 419 here. No seed heads & grows half as fast as bermuda.

10. 1911Sooner

1911Sooner Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Whatever that hybrid grass Chesapeake uses. That is some amazing grass they have over there.

RustedBeef likes this.