BEST group of my Life!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolf44

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Send the Pics to Vortex.......The crew would love to see your work. As well as tout that you used their product. Never know, might get a T shirt or ? out of it.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you 6shooter!

After freezing my fanny off this morning, a had a real nice 12 pt. I was watching for over 2 hours, I had to let walk away. I saw him at less than 100 yds. and knew what deer he was from game cam pics.. When he went to an open field, he ran for about 400 yds. and met up with a couple of does that we're bedded down in a drainage ditch. At just over 700 yds., the buck presented a full broadside shot. My Kestrel weather station showed 30 degrees with wind speeds of 15-18 mph. with gusts up to 28 mph.. As bad as I wanted this deer, with the wind blowing and gusting like it was, I was not 100% confident I could make a clean kill, so I just watched the buck chase does until they went out of sight and then came on back to the house. Now, if I can get my feet thawed out, I'll be doing good....

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you 6shooter!

After freezing my fanny off this morning, a had a real nice 12 pt. I was watching for over 2 hours, I had to let walk away. I saw him at less than 100 yds. and knew what deer he was from game cam pics.. When he went to an open field, he ran for about 400 yds. and met up with a couple of does that we're bedded down in a drainage ditch. At just over 700 yds., the buck presented a full broadside shot. My Kestrel weather station showed 30 degrees with wind speeds of 15-18 mph. with gusts up to 28 mph.. As bad as I wanted this deer, with the wind blowing and gusting like it was, I was not 100% confident I could make a clean kill, so I just watched the buck chase does until they went out of sight and then came on back to the house. Now, if I can get my feet thawed out, I'll be doing good....

Why didn't you shoot him at 100 yds instead of waiting for him to get in the next county to shoot at especially if I wanted him real bad.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you MoBoost!

magna19 - I did not want this deer bad enough to shoot it at 100 yds.. Every year for the past 24 years, I have set-up to shoot at least one deer a year in excess of 600 yds., and regardless of size, points or whatever, I won't shoot a deer inside of 600 yds. during the first week of rifle season. This is just my self imposed limit and something I'm not going to change - unless I get too old and shaky and can no longer place a bullet with the required precision to cleanly harvest a deer at extended ranges...

The rifle shown in the first post, stays sighted in to hit point of aim at 600 yds. and then at the longer ranges, the scope is "dialed-in". with this particular rifle and the way I have set it up, I do not shoot anything under 600 yds. with it. Yes, I have close range rifles and like my long-range rifles, they are built with a specific purpose in mind. Nothing more, nothing less....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom