Best Mid-Tier AR-15 Platforms

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ErichS

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looking for recommendations + opinions on the best mid-tier ($900-$1500) AR platform manufacturers? Please give your reason why you recommend.

I have a Springfield Saint Victor which I have only put ~1000 rounds through and I really like it.

I am wanting to purchase another soon and am debating the following:
- Sig Sauer
- Colt
- Aero Precision

Thanks in Advance!

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looking for recommendations + opinions on the best mid-tier ($900-$1500) AR platform manufacturers? Please give your reason why you recommend.

I have a Springfield Saint Victor which I have only put ~1000 rounds through and I really like it.

I am wanting to purchase another soon and am debating the following:
- Sig Sauer
- Colt
- Aero Precision

Thanks in Advance!
I don't know the MSRP comparison, but of the three I recognize Aero as a good rep mid-tier, but if the cost wasn't an issue, I would prefer an M400 just based on the build quality from my own experiences.

The Colt is a Colt...loose and reliable but you do pay for the name according to some folks. If price same for all, I would go Sig, if price and issue, go with the cheapest. Just be sure to get mid-length.

I will say I like the fact you can get an Aero from the factory with the 14.5" w/ pinned & welded flash hider. If you want the most compact non-NFA barrel, that may be the way to go. Sry not more help...

ErichS

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know the MSRP comparison, but of the three I recognize Aero as a good rep mid-tier, but if the cost wasn't an issue, I would prefer an M400 just based on the build quality from my own experiences.

The Colt is a Colt...loose and reliable but you do pay for the name according to some folks. If price same for all, I would go Sig, if price and issue, go with the cheapest. Just be sure to get mid-length.

I will say I like the fact you can get an Aero from the factory with the 14.5" w/ pinned & welded flash hider. If you want the most compact non-NFA barrel, that may be the way to go. Sry not more help...
When you say Mid-Length, do you mean 16"? I have been strongly considering the M400, I just do not like the standard stock or hand rail. Shouldn't be to bad to swap.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When you say Mid-Length, do you mean 16"? I have been strongly considering the M400, I just do not like the standard stock or hand rail. Shouldn't be to bad to swap.
I mean mid-length gas system (which isn't the barrel) so it will be more reliable. The carbine-length gas systems run dirtier, hotter and can be less reliable.

If it were me, I would probably buy what was already setup the way i liked it, or live with the OEM stuff...but that's is just me. Otherwise, I'd build it as I wanted it. PSA and Aero have some nice lowers you can start with if you want to build.

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A factory complete Larue upper can be had for 750 right now, that’s the direction I’d go. Dollar for dollar I think it’s one of the best deals out there, @JEVapa made me aware of it. Order their upgraded trigger and Sprinco spring with it and find a lower local to slap it on.

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A factory complete Larue upper can be had for 750 right now, that’s the direction I’d go. Dollar for dollar I think it’s one of the best deals out there, @JEVapa made me aware of it. Order their upgraded trigger and Sprinco spring with it and find a lower local to slap it on.
I need to look at this....seems like I've got a Larue lower tucked back somewhere around here. Thanks

ErichS

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks! Would probably match with an Aero Lower. Will watch some videos on the Larue upper now

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good idea...They had lowers at Atwood's for 49.95 last time I was there...don't recall the brand. Or he could get a complete PSA or Aero.

Also been hearing a lot about the brand Zion

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom