Best place for oil change

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to have to change the oil, for years now I've chosen to pay someone else to do it because I don't want to do it. Doesn't diminish my manhood, I've probably done way more from a mechanic perspective than most of you Saturday oil change wizards, but I don't have to anymore, and my time is more valuable to me. Plus I don't have to screw with finding some place to take the old oil, clean up the oil spills, properly dispose of the filter and empty containers, and have hot oil drip down my arm and splash into my open mouth while I am cursing about my arm burning... :)
^^^ This.

I'm taking my truck to get the plugs changed next week. They only want $295 provided none break off getting them out. I'm 99.9% certain I could get them all out by taking my time but for that money I don't have to worry about having to make a trip for kero and a lighter if one does break off on me. Freaking Ford 2 piece long a$$ plugs. Yep, I'm paying somebody for that. Most dealerships charge a whole $15 to change your oil if you take your own oil & filter. Guess where I'm going after picking it up from getting the plugs changed...

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Changed the oil in my wife’s 4Runner and rotated the tires last night. Took me about 45 minutes start to finish and that was taking my time. The car lift makes it a dream to do this kind of work. And with the right equipment, there is not mess. I have a rolling oil drum with a large drain funnel. I can pull the drain plug and filter at the same time with not mess. When the oil drum is full, I take it down to Oreillys and they dump it in there oil bin for free. And, I essentially traded my air impact and ratchets with Milwaukee 18 volt tools, a 1/2 impact and ratchet. Those are great with no annoying air compressor messing with the neighbors.

I bought the Mobile 1, 5 quart jug in a 3 jug pack from Walmart for $19 per jug and the OEM Toyota oil filter was $4.
$27 for the 6 quart full synthetic oil change.
When it’s on the lift, I also check the fluids in the differentials and Transfercase. Also grease the driveshafts and checked the brakes since the wheels were off.

For me, with the convenience of the lift and tools and the peace of mind I know it was down right, there is no way I would pay someone else to do the work and overall maintenance check.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Changed the oil in my wife’s 4Runner and rotated the tires last night. Took me about 45 minutes start to finish and that was taking my time. The car lift makes it a dream to do this kind of work. And with the right equipment, there is not mess. I have a rolling oil drum with a large drain funnel. I can pull the drain plug and filter at the same time with not mess. When the oil drum is full, I take it down to Oreillys and they dump it in there oil bin for free. And, I essentially traded my air impact and ratchets with Milwaukee 18 volt tools, a 1/2 impact and ratchet. Those are great with no annoying air compressor messing with the neighbors.

I bought the Mobile 1, 5 quart jug in a 3 jug pack from Walmart for $19 per jug and the OEM Toyota oil filter was $4.
$27 for the 6 quart full synthetic oil change.
When it’s on the lift, I also check the fluids in the differentials and Transfercase. Also grease the driveshafts and checked the brakes since the wheels were off.

For me, with the convenience of the lift and tools and the peace of mind I know it was down right, there is no way I would pay someone else to do the work and overall maintenance check.
Let's see, $2K for the lift, $40K plus for the shop, assorted tools $1K, utility costs for lights, tools, and climate, plus time for the change, time for hauling the barrel to O'Reilly's. That oil change is costing you a lot more than $29 and 45 minutes... :)

I would love to have a shop large enough for a lift, and a lift.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Let's see, $2K for the lift, $40K plus for the shop, assorted tools $1K, utility costs for lights, tools, and climate, plus time for the change, time for hauling the barrel to O'Reilly's. That oil change is costing you a lot more than $29 and 45 minutes... :)

I would love to have a shop large enough for a lift, and a lift.

I love working and fabricating on anything mechanical. The shop has paid for itself a long time ago, in stress relief therapy alone. I can do a lot of stuff in that shop and that has saved me a lot of money; to sharpen my lawnmower blades, the Hustler goes on the lift. My only regret with building the shop is I should have built it much bigger.

The lift was more like $3,200 for an American made Worth lift, made in Ft. Worth TX, lol. I would not trust a chinese lift with my life.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I love working and fabricating on anything mechanical. The shop has paid for itself a long time ago, in stress relief therapy alone. I can do a lot of stuff in that shop and that has saved me a lot of money; to sharpen my lawnmower blades, the Hustler goes on the lift. My only regret with building the shop is I should have built it much bigger.

The lift was more like $3,200 for an American made Worth lift, made in Ft. Worth TX, lol. I would not trust a chinese lift with my life.
No question that the shop and lift is worth it, if I had the space I would have one, and I haven't talked to a single person that didn't say they wish they had gone larger.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We built the shop and house in 2004. The shop is part of the house with a Porte-cochere and the door is at the back of the house with full brick all around. The shop started as a single car garage size. I asked the builder what it would cost to add footage. He told me $19 a foot. I ended up with a 6 car garage sized shop and told myself I needed to stop growing the size. That was my mistake!

No question that the shop and lift is worth it, if I had the space I would have one, and I haven't talked to a single person that didn't say they wish they had gone larger.

Latest posts

Top Bottom