Best place to take kids camping.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheLastDaze

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Havent really explored much (remote) camping options since Ive lived here, not talking trailer camping thats abundant but rather out in the woods type situation.. Not necessarily a campsite per se but in the thick.. small back pack hike with tent

Want to take my kids out...

Didnt know where else to post thos so any ideas you can throw at me im open, im in tulsa but cool with a several hour drive if its an ideal local.

TIA

Foghorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Charon gardens at the Witchita mountains wildlife refuge. 3 day permits are a breeze, neat area but plan to pack all your water depending on the time of year.

There also some places down in the quashita national forrest worth the trip. Deet and lots of it is a must down there, but it's pretty country.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

PiedmontGuy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There's a place in the NE part of the state that really gets overlooked. You might check out Cookson Hills WMA. There's a spot that they say 'camping for hunters' but I'm guessing if you were hiking, that they would let you camp there. You won't be able to pitch a tent anywhere on the property though. Probably need to call to verify but that area is really pretty with big mature trees. There's elk and deer all over. Some of the hills are too steep to climb because they are loose gravel. Wouldn't be that far from Tulsa area. It's just on the east side of Lake Tenkiller about 4 miles east of Cookson (town).
I agree with Wichita Mountains. I haven't checked it out but I wonder what the camping situation is up on the Tall Grass Preserve? That's North of Tulsa in Osage County.

zeronight6r6

Marksman
Reaction score
Unless something has changed in the last couple of years the department of wildlife does not allow camping except in designated areas. Cookson WMA only allows camping during hunting season.

Wichita is nice but if you like the rolling hills and trees I would suggest looking at some of the national parks in Arkansas. It’s not that far from Tulsa and has way more opportunities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PiedmontGuy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Per the biologist at Cookson WMA:
"Our campgrounds are designated for hunters specifically, but in most cases I allow nonhunters to use the campground when major seasons are not going on.

I could issue you a special use permit to allow for nonhunter camping at the campground. All you would need to do is send me an email at [email protected] letting me know some contact info for you & dates that you would like to be out here camping."

I have found this to be somewhat true for many of the WMAs. As long as you ask first and be respectful these guys will go above and beyond to help you out.

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-31_9-28-59.jpg
    upload_2019-1-31_9-28-59.jpg
    642 bytes · Views: 167

zeronight6r6

Marksman
Reaction score
You are correct most all of the biologists are great and will probably let one camp at their designated camp grounds just about anytime. But the original post was asking about hiking into a location to camp and Cookson’s designated camping area isn’t even within the management area. You have to drive back and forth between the two sites. I’ve known Curt for a long time and he would probably let anyone camp in the designated area but I’ve never seen anyone or heard of anyone camping in the management area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Wichitas are the only place I've gone camping in Oklahoma, back around '84 or so. What I remember about it was it being wet and cold and generally miserable, but a beautiful place. One of these days, I'll go back.

Latest posts

Top Bottom