Best place to take kids camping.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PiedmontGuy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some of the Ouachita National Forest in SE Oklahoma has overnight backpacking areas. The "Black Fork Mountain Wilderness" is both in Oklahoma and Arkansas. The rules state "Camp and Travel on Durable Surfaces", so you can hike until you find your spot and then camp.

Here's a link that shows five areas that allow that over-night backpacking.
https://stepoutside.org/article/5-beautiful-backpack-camping-spots-in-oklahoma/

zeronight6r6

Marksman
Reaction score
I think you are right. It’s called a “land access permit”. I don’t remember the cost but I believe if you’ve have a current hunting license then that fee is waived. I know it is if you have a lifetime license which is why I’m not 100% sure on the fee and if it’s waived if you have the hunting license.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PiedmontGuy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That was new info to me about the passport. Apparently it is NOT required for your kids under 16.
Passport or Hunting/Fishing License?
People who use Department-owned areas for nonhunting or nonfishing activities, such as birdwatching or photography, are required to have either a Wildlife Conservation Passport or any current hunting or fishing license issued by the Wildlife Department.
Buying a hunting or fishing license can cost less than buying a Wildlife Conservation Passport. Plus, license holders are granted the privileges of that license and can enjoy those activities during the license term.
Persons under 16 years of age at the start of the calendar year, and students and instructors participating in bona fide educational tours or activities sponsored or organized by an education institution or any other organized event sanctioned by and approved in advance by the Wildlife Department are exempt from the Wildlife Conservation Passport requirement. List of WMAs and Fishing Areas where a passport is required, visit wildlifedepartment.com (there's about 50 areas listed) There's a different fee for 3-Rivers and Honobia Creek (special land access permit). Also, your kids under 18 are exempt for this Land Access Permit, and any of your kids over 64 are exempt too.
http://www.eregulations.com/oklahoma/hunting/special-licenses-permits/

becker_atc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We camp in Arkansas quite a bit. Mostly the ozarks but have been to ouachitas few times.

We hike in some places and others we car camp (national forest so not in camp ground)

Some neat places one place was along a little river with lots of small mouth. Other wasp ice peaceful creek and another could camp on the edge of a bluff

56bb54ec2faf20f9b8bc5aa65899bc42.jpg
28bb5260dc657df90ba0050a71f4397f.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom