Best Reasonably Priced Cable Modem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
SB8200 is probably the best way to go right now. Another similarly priced option is the CM1100 but I have not worked with it myself. Both of these have two ethernet ports and can aggregate for a faster connection later on. The CM1000 is a little cheaper(10.00 or so and probably not worth it to lose an ethernet port) and only has one ethernet port while the CM1200 is a little more and has 4 ethernet ports. Then you have the MB8600 which actually has 4 ethernet ports as well and is the same cost as the SB8200 and CM1100. The odd thing about the MB8600 is that they have covered up most of the ethernet ports that are there since most ISP's don't support aggregation yet. But I have seen pictures where the label can be peeled back and it shows 4 ports.

The SB8200 and the MB8600 have more ram inside so they will be able to do a little more than the CM1000/1100/1200. They also have a spectrum analyzer page which the CM1000/1100/1200 series does not have available.

They all use the same broadcom chipset so if I had to pick not looking at brand I would say the MB8600 is the winner. The only thing I wonder about is how well they pulled it off. It's a motorola but the thing is that motorola was bought by google then sold, most of the IP went to Arris who makes the SB8200 but the name went to Zoom and I just don't know enough about them nor have I dealt with them so I would probably still stick with the SB8200. I should also mention that having multiple ports does not mean the modem's will act as a router, it is an advantage if you have multiple static IP addresses as each port can pull a direct connection from the modem without a switch that way. Or if you have a compatible router you can use multiple ports and pull more data through overall.

Latest posts

Top Bottom